postprocessing for web........

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Keith, May 3, 2005.

1. for downsizing, I have been very frustrated with downsizing for viewing. In looking at many peoples pics, incredible. I was very happy using FM plug in called Web Pro Presenter (WP Pro) with the D1x and D100, but not as happy with the D2h! My originals and what i print from my D2h are incredible (rather this way than the other :lol: ) But having said that, i am very interested to hear how you post process for web. Please be articulate in how you do it in PS or plug ins- do you sharpen after , if so how and what numbers etc.....

thanks, interested to see how this thread goes, we can all learn :wink:

2. Keith,

I use Capture to resize to 750x500, convert to sRGB, tweek the exposure and WB, and sharpen a bit to eliminate the AA filter effect. After that, I send a TIFF into PSCS and remove any noise and do my final sharpening (usually 300, 0.2, 0) as a starting point. The whole process takes about 60-90 seconds. Here is an example output:

3. thanks for sharing, hopefully some others will share as well!

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm lazy......I shoot RAW+JPG, if the JPG turns out good enough I just resize with IrFanView, while putting my signature on it at the same time.....

For "best" shots, I play with the NEF file in Capture, then use PS Elements as needed, but again to resize I switch to IrFanView...

[​IMG]

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I have a Photoshop action that I can use on individual images or to batch a whole bunch, goes something like this:

Flatten Image
    Resize with Bicubic Smoother (800 wide for horiz, 700 tall for vert)
    Convert to sRGB
    Change to 8-bit Mode
    Apply USM (85%, .35 radius)
    Save as JPEG quality 11

If running the action on a small number of images, I"ll enable to the dialog for USM so I can tweak on a per-picture basis, or if I'm batching a whole bunch I'll just have it use the default above without prompting. The dimensions I've chosen are about as big as you can go without requiring scrolling on a 1024x768 monitor, and by sticking to 800 pixels or less PBase will use my original JPG for the "Large" version rather than resizing and recompression (which will give you a very soft image, PBase's resizing sucks).