Potential upgrades for a Nikon D40x

Greetings! Several years ago I purchased a D40x for a trip to Yosemite. It worked wonderfully and I was pleased with the performance. Life happened and I had to take a step back from tinkering around with photography. So here I am with trip to Yellowstone coming up in a couple months and I'm wondering, should I upgrade? I'd like to keep the price under 1,000. Is it safe to assume the lenses I have would still work with a new body?

Real Name
Dan
Lens compatibility depends on what you have. Better check. If you were happy with the D40 you should be thrilled with any of the D3xxx or D5xxx series. You can likely get a kit with lenses within your budget.

Greetings! Several years ago I purchased a D40x for a trip to Yosemite. It worked wonderfully and I was pleased with the performance. Life happened and I had to take a step back from tinkering around with photography. So here I am with trip to Yellowstone coming up in a couple months and I'm wondering, should I upgrade? I'd like to keep the price under 1,000. Is it safe to assume the lenses I have would still work with a new body?

We're going back too, after 11 years! I had a D50 last time, and now a D7500. In between I had a D7000. D7500 is a huge improvement on the D50, and even the D7000 - wasn't happy with the autofocus on the D7000.

Consider renting if this is really just for the trip. Also I think lenses are more important, but again you can rent a $2000 lens for $100 a week, something to consider. I won't use a $2000 telephoto much outside of such a trip so I'm going to rent.

Bodies are really cheap to rent also. I'd hesitate to buy a new body for just a trip, especially with things trending toward mirrorless.

Real Name
Ken
Welcome to the forum! You will have a lot of choices under $1K USD, and if you also consider used bodies, then you will have even more. It mostly depends on what features you are looking for. There are still a lot of D3xxx and D5xxx bodies/kits available, and the D7500 is also a nice option. If you wanted to go mirrorless, you could spend a bit more an consider the Z50. That will bring you to the latest APS-C model from NIkon.

Good luck,

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom