POVERTY in Guatemala (Panorama)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by leungphotography, Aug 3, 2008.

1. One of the largest, poorest urban slums of Guatemala called "La Limonada".
    This is probably THE most dangerous slums in Guatemala City. While I was
    taking these photos, drug addicts were approaching. Drug addicts will resort
    to mugging and even killing just for a few dollars for drugs. This place is
    quite fascinating... if only I can get a closer look... but someone like myself
    would probably not make it in this high-risk area.

In 1959, this area was invaded by the poor due to economic crisis and bad
    housing situations. People could no longer afford renting rooms or
    tenements. "La Limonada" was part of the gullies in Zone 5 in Guatemala City
    in front of the Olympic Stadium. People simply collect trash or scraps to build
    their "homes".

Guatemala's poverty line is currently set at about $550 usd/year. Anyone
    making less than $245 usb/year is considered in "extreme poverty".

I was told by a local native that anyone who is making 200 Quetzal ($27 usd)
    per day ($560 usd/month) is considered very well-off.

Moral of this story? Count your blessings!

3 shot pano... (click for full size)
    342974962_G37wR-O.jpg

(click for full size)
    342974250_6ZSSf-XL.jpg

--
    http://photos.leung.us/logo.gif
    http://photography.leung.us

2. Very impressive shots, and very sad. Hard to imagine what life must be like for people living in these conditions.

Regards,

Gary.

3. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Leung,
    Great images, #2 with the church dome barely visible is nice. How long did you spend there?

4. Looks like some places I've seen in the Dominican Republic. Nice shots Leung.

Did you go there for work or is your wife Guatemalan?

5. great shots, but i am always puzzled by the notion that people find poverty so appalling in other places but step right over (not a personal attack just a general comment) homeless people in their own back yard.

There are places JUST like this in many a places in the US. Have you been to Appalaicha lately?

FYI - I grew up in place very much like that, with no running water and no indoor plumming - just not quit that crowded.

6. scenes like that bring tears to you eyes
    none of us can imagine (accurately) what it must be like to live your life like that

thanks for sharing these excellent photos with us

7. I've spent a lot of time in the many slums in India--but yet I am always moved by any pictures of poverty. On the other hand, pictures like this do speak to the remarkable tenacity of humans to survive. I wish we could wave a magic wand and have equality everywhere!
    Sigh!

8. Back here in Scotland, whilst we do have homeless people, its normally through choice. There ia always accommodation available and no one needs to sleep on the street as far as I can tell.

Also with our government handouts, no one trully needs to experience proper poverty either, however, people do through silly choices of lifestyle (drugs etc).

Gary.

9. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    This should be a lesson to all who live in the "civilized" world and complain endlessly about this and that.

Very impressive pictures, Leung.

10. Thanks for sharing these shots with us Leung. They are very touching and thought provoking. I have been privilaged to see many parts of the world, many of those places were spots where the word "poverty" is an understatement; it just simply cannot be discribed. Thanks for bring to my attention my need to be thankful for what we take for granted as well as the need to help those less fortunate.

God Bless,
    David

11. Just reminded me of the Philippines in Manila where we have a section of poverty:frown:

12. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Count your blessings is right.............that is why I don't take anything for granted. Images like this should really open your eyes and make you see how fortunate one really is here. That's for sharing.

13. A group from our church just got back from missions work in that area, they're presenting next week. I couldn't go this year b/c of the baby, but hope to go next year.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    A nice piece of PJ :)

15. Thanks Gary... it's something that we don't often see other than in infomercials... this is reality for a LOT of people.

16. Thanks... I spent maybe 15 seconds there.

17. Thanks Dez.... yes, I understand that DR has similar places. Not sure if it is also run by violent gangs though. No... not Guatemalan... but my in-laws happen to be there.

18. Thanks Corwyn... poverty, yes there is poverty pretty much everywhere... but as you know. Not every place is the same. In this case, this area is run by violent gangs and there are drug addicts everywhere. They will not just mug you or kill you... one cannot describe what they will do before they do so....

And I really feel for the people who not only lives under those conditions... but under the oppression of the gangs who even the governmental authorities are afraid of.

19. Well said GAry.... I agree, but not everyone is by choice. Some of them didn't have a choice.

20. Thanks Greg.... I can't even begin to imagine what it's like even having seen this.