PP Dilemma for Beginners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman3, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Greetings all!!

If you have not heard, MS has pulled the plug on its Digital Imaging Suite. I have used it in combination with Capture NX for some time and between the two I have been able to accomplish everything I need to do. I particularily like how easy DIS is. (For example, to remove a spot meant lassoing a circle around it and clicking a "Fix it" link. Done.)

Of course, the software I have will continue to function. That's not a problem.

My problem is, I have been using DIS in a seminar I do for my clients that is really geared to beginners only. Attendees have been mostly folks who either do not have a digital P&S and are thinking of buying one or those who have a digital camera but currently take the memory cards to Wal Mart for printing. It's been a very popular class!!

Since DIS is leaving the store shelves, I have been trying a number of alternatives to begin featuring in the seminars. I have tried ACDsee, Lightroom, PSE, the stuff built into Windows Vista, and so on, but haven't really found anything that is as easy to use as DIS yet as feature packed.

Any other suggestions I can look at? (Windows-based only at this time)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!

Ken

2. Tried Picasa? It's got "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. :smile:

Seriously, you should give it a try.

3. Picassa is definitely beginner/casual oriented... it's what I used whe I first started digital. It's also getting better all the time, it now allows for editing RAW pictures.

4. Thanks. I looked at Picassa and it's not too bad. Still short of my DIS "standard" but I'm not finding much that is as good.

Appreciate the inputs ...

Cheers!!

Ken

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Photoshop CS3 or
    Photoshop elements 5

6. caraman

caraman

May 23, 2007
    Dumfries, VA
    I use a Corel product called 'Paint Shop Pro'. I first started using it about 15 years ago when it was freeware (obviously before it became a Corel product). Got my recent version with a new Dell computer. The version I have (about 3 years old) has two parts: Photo album which is geared towards viewing and organizing, although you can do some basic editing; and photo editor where you can do just about everything (but not as powerful as Photoshop).
    Phil

7. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I think you would be doing your students a favor introducing them to PS Elements. Then if they get serious, they can move up to PS CS without having to learn from scratch.

-- Russ

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Buy a Mac and use Aperture.

9. I would choose Photoshop Elements, too, because (1) it is relatively inexpensive and a very robust program; (2) is a steppingstone to the full Photoshop program if someone does want to advance to that one day and (3) is on both the Windows and Mac platforms. The latter is important because you may have students in your class who are current or future Mac users. More and more people are discovering the joys and versatility of Apple computers are are making the switch. If they've learned digital image post-processing on software which is available in either platform they're good to go, both now and for the future.

10. I also recommend Elements. It's what I'm using, and what I started with (v3.0, now have 5.0). It's very intuitive for someone who is new, and if you use "quick fix" you have all sorts of "auto" stuff that it will do (red eye, brightness, saturation, etc).

It can then also provide plenty of power to the user growing in skill. I now regularly work with levels, layers for watermarks, USM, etc. I've also found that most PS tutorials will work in Elements, and that is a nice benefit.

Its currently around $90, but can sometimes be found on sale for as little as $50.

11. try Paint Shop Pro XI

works somewhat like DIS and you could get it at a good price.

12. Thanks again, folks. I have Elements and for some reason I just have a hard time with things like removing a spot as I did in DIS. However I'll admit it is a good stepping stone ... I'll keep working on it.

I'll have a look at Paint Shop Pro ... I have a bunch of Dell's that have it on them!!

For know I'm planning to stay away from the Mac stuff although I did play a bit today with a new laptop and iPhoto(?) at the BX. I frankly never run into Mac folks out here in the real world. Not many folks use 'em in a pure business environment.

Again, thanks ...

Ken

13. Didn't necessarily mean that you should run out and buy a Mac! LOL! And, yes, you're quite correct that in the business environment Windows still has the edge. What I was thinking was that by using Elements, even as you're teaching on the Windows platform, that any of your students who currently has a Mac at home or will at some point in the future be purchasing and using one would have the benefit of still being able to use a program with which s/he's now familiar: ie, PS Elements, as it is available on both platforms.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.