1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PP'd image comparison

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Otter, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Hello all.

The following image was PP'd two different ways. #1 with Aperture then CS3 and #2 using NX 1.3. Both were PP'd by two different people on two different machines both calibrated.

I am curious to know which image you like better and why. What do you like or dislike.

To me, a lot about IQ is subjective. Some like more color saturation, more contrast, and so on.

I am not interested in CS3 vs. NX type stuff. Just would like to know what you think of the final image in regards to look and so on.

So, which do you prefer, #1 or #2 and why?

Thanks.
    Joe

#1 vjlo
    DeeJLO800x.

#2 vjso
    _DSC0025.

2. definitely #1

Better color, contrast and crop.

BTW, This is a beautiful photograph that I would be proud to hang on my wall.

Dennis

3. Number 1 may have better color, but overall it looks overprocessed. Number 2 looks more natural, and more like a real photograph.

4. Snap96

Snap96

Jun 18, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    #2 is my pick. It just stands out more and is more pleasing to my newbie eyes.

In my opinion, the person in the background in #1 plays too much of a role in the image. Whereas, in #2, the person is more subtle and blends with the background.

Paul

5. rrx3

rrx3

Jun 14, 2008
    Wiltshire, UK
    No. 2 for me. There is a natural tone to this, which just seems 'right'. They are both worthy pictures - I would love to have both. No1 I would put on my wall, no.2 into my portfolio..

6. I prefer #2 because my eyes focus on him. The person in the background catches my eye in #1. Maybe a closer crop of #1?

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I like #2...but it needs just a little more contrast.

8. RichNY

RichNY Guest

9. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    my vote goes to #2. in #1, the OOF person in the background is too dark and too large, drawing my eye away from the runner. in #1, the contrast is just right and the composition minimizes the OOF person.

ricky

10. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I agree with Dave -- #2 with a touch more contrast.

11. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    number one looks like an airbrush painting, and the exagerrated saturation makes the OOF head, as well as the entire background really, draw too much attention.
    number two has more realistic color, the composition works for the image. great shot that could've been in a magazine or a newspaper.

12. I like #2, but with the cropping used in #1 it would be even better. I'm a purist when it comes to these kinds of shots, and #1 just looks too "over baked" with softness and over saturation, my $0.02.

13. #2 for me, primarily because the skin looks over processed in 1. I like the crop of 1, which I would like to see applied to 2.

14. No. 2 for me also, I prefer the more "natural" look especially considering the lighting, in this case less is more

15. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    What Steve said:biggrin:

16. Number 2 - much better skin tones - 1 has too much contrast.

17. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I agree with post #3-16.

18. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Definitely #2. More natural than 1. One is over processed, too saturated, edge sharpness is gone to the point that it looks too contrived. # 2 could be a touch warmer, but not to the same extent as 1. In Lightroom I would have added a touch of clarity to sharpen and add a punch to the midtones.

19. I also prefer #2. I like the fact that the green in the background is more subdued. In #1, it is too prominent and distracts my eye. Also, the skin in #1 looks over processed. As a couple people have mentioned, I would add a bit of contrast to #2.

20. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    #2 with a touch more contrast for me too :) .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.