Practice at Practice

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Practicing with the sigma 300/2.8 with 1.4 TC.
    It's very frustrating for me to shoot sports at 420mm with no zoom.

1st scrimmage is tommorrow night so I went to practice this morning to practice myself.

btw, it's gonna be 102F here today and high schools must be off the field by 11am...it was so humid this morning my evf was foggy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    It looks good Randy...I'd say you're becoming one with the Sigma 300 f/2.8. :biggrin:

3. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Randy ... what F stop are you shooting with the TC and the 300 ? ?

your shots look great man ... nice and sharp .... i understand how you feel at 420 ... but somtimes the results are well worth it.....

---topher

4. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Patience Randy. Soon enough you'll wonder why you ever shot with a zoom.

5. f4 w/ and w/o the tc because the players are standing everywhere...f4 on a 2.8 lens seems to be great and if you are close enough it does a nice job on the background
    thx

6. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

thanks randy ... ill do some test shots here in the next couple of weeks to get the feel of the TC and the 300 ... !!

7. the biggest prob i have is i love to be close to the action, especially when I am shooting independence high so I am going to go back to the 70-200 for games

8. u def should use the tc on your 300/2.8

9. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I like to be close to the action too that is why I primarily use a 400/2.8. :cool: No I know what you mean about being close to the action. It's nice to be right in the midst of all the players and the coaches so you get a feel for the mood of the game. I prefer to be away from the action to minimize the probability someone steps into my line of fire. However, I do on occasion shoot from the line of scrimmage with the 400/2.8. It works great from the opposite hash mark and an option play comes towards you.

10. Looks good just keep at it soon you will be able to track action no problem at 420

11. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    You need a 400/2.8 for that 1.4X tele of yours.

12. i did spend the $400 for the tc already so why not....
    I have been debating geno's 300/2.8 but decided the sigma will hold me for now just in case i jump ship eventually (remember i had one foot over there already)

13. C'mon Randy, go fer Geno's 300..... that way when you're ready to bail, I'll have a spare 7... OK,... maybe $800.00 lying around to send you for it !!!
    hehehe : ~ )

14. i did get his 28-70 and it was soooo mint
    but the sigma 300 is just too good to sell and for 1500 w/ 2 TC-s it was the best deal i ever got

15. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

randy ... i woudln't get another 300 ... your sigma is awesome .... save the funds for the 400 bro ....