Practice At The Lake

Finally got out for some practice with my new D300.

Here's a couple of shots.

100429814.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 225363

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

MikeT

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the first one
the second might be more visually appealing.... but, somehow it needs a bit of counter-clockwise rotation to MY eyes

UPDATE:
i took a look photoshop
and 3 degrees of COUNTER-clockwise rotation is about right, to my eyes

Say, I didn't even notice that!:tongue:

I use NX2 and used a -1.42 setting on a straight (I hope) sidewalk way in the left back.

Look better now?

Thanks for pointing that out spalding12!

MikeT

i think it does
here's what i came up with.....
hope you don't mind me posting it here
if you do, i'll remove it

336172809_fGV2t-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No, I don't mind.
It now looks tilted to the left slightly to me.

Looking between the two trees on the left is a little white line which I think is the sidewalk around the area. You can follow the sidewalk to the right almost to the tree in the foreground. I used that as a reference to level by.

I'll leave it for now and see what others think as well.

Thanks for your suggestions.

MikeT

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, the skies are blown out in both images -- need to bracket exposures or use ND grad filter for this kind of shot. The first is more uniformly overxposed than the second one, but the reflections are overexposed in the second. ND grad wouldn't help much with the reflections -- better off bracketing exposures for that one.

Mike, the skies are blown out in both images -- need to bracket exposures or use ND grad filter for this kind of shot. The first is more uniformly overxposed than the second one, but the reflections are overexposed in the second. ND grad wouldn't help much with the reflections -- better off bracketing exposures for that one.

Yes, pretty much blown skies in both. There wasn't any detail to preserve in the sky as it was heavy overcast with white clouds everywhere. In the background of the first photo you can see some mist from the clouds. With the overcast and shooting in the direction of the setting sun made the clouds even brighter. I don't think an ND filter or bracketing would have brought out any detail in the sky.

Come to think of it, I haven't even tried bracketing yet.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments Bob,

MikeT

There wasn't any detail to preserve in the sky as it was heavy overcast with white clouds everywhere. In the background of the first photo you can see some mist from the clouds. With the overcast and shooting in the direction of the setting sun made the clouds even brighter. I don't think an ND filter or bracketing would have brought out any detail in the sky.

Come to think of it, I haven't even tried bracketing yet.:rolleyes:

MikeT

Yes, I think I've seen skies like that:biggrin:. In such cases, I'm tempted to substitute skies that have at least a little character.:wink:

Yes, I think I've seen skies like that:biggrin:. In such cases, I'm tempted to substitute skies that have at least a little character.:wink:

True. I could have put in a different sky to improve the image but that wouldn't be what the camera saw when the shutter was released. While I'm not totally against adding or removing picture elements. I'm learning from my mistakes(?) so I can see things like this and get things close to right in the camera the first time.

So far, that's been like .001% :biggrin:

MikeT

Mike, we should get together and shoot sometime. I really like shooting downtown at night. PM me if you're interested.

I feel your pain regarding the sky. Seems like right now all we get is that hazy non-descript light that isn't good for anything except harsh shadow and blown highlights!

Vince

No, I don't mind.
It now looks tilted to the left slightly to me.

Looking between the two trees on the left is a little white line which I think is the sidewalk around the area. You can follow the sidewalk to the right almost to the tree in the foreground. I used that as a reference to level by.

I'll leave it for now and see what others think as well.

Thanks for your suggestions.

MikeT
i think you are right and mine might be OVER-correct
the thing is.... it's a very nice capture
that's what is important
well done by you

Mike, we should get together and shoot sometime. I really like shooting downtown at night. PM me if you're interested.

Sounds good to me! PM sent.

I feel your pain regarding the sky. Seems like right now all we get is that hazy non-descript light that isn't good for anything except harsh shadow and blown highlights!

Vince

It looks like we are going to have another one today:frown:
Hopefully it will clear up by the weekend.

MikeT

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom