prairie gold/yellow.. revised version

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by maraya, Aug 1, 2008.

1. out today to try and catch the canola (rapeseed) in bloom with the mountains in the background but the mountain weather wouldn't cooperate...had to settle for a big sky instead. :biggrin:
    My first pano and it's a bit raggedy on the upper right edge.
    C and C welcome.

[​IMG]

Barb

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  2. Lovely shot Barb. I love the boldness of the yellow contrasting with the blue sky. My only very, very small nit is the position of the horizon. Try a crop where about the bottom 1/6 of the foreground is left out. It might be better proportioned. Thank you for sharing your image. It is beautiful.

God Bless,
    David

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I think David's right, Barb. In addition, his suggested crop alters the aspect ratio such as to emphasize the horizontal expanse of the area.

I've seen canola fields in bloom only once, but the image has stuck in my mind for many years. Thanks for re-enforcing that image:smile:

4. Thanks David...along with Autumn this is one of my favorite times of the year for colour.
    I totally agree with you...rule of thirds. I struggled with the shot once it was stitched together and thought that I should cut more off of the bottom. The plants are quite around 45 inches and I am only a little less than 5 feet . .. I wanted to get the plants in focus plus get the big sky ...several of my other attempts have a perspective problem.

Thanks Bob I am going to try tonight and post the "fix". Canola is a big crop here,from the air it must be a dazzling quilt of greens and yellows right now.
    Barb

5. Very pretty scene, Barb. That's quite a sky, and the color combination is great. I agree with David's crop suggestion, and you could also crop the ragged corners out at the same time.

6. Thanks to David, Bob and Dave...Here is the cropped version. I think it looks a lot better.
    Thanks for the comments...can only help me that is for sure.
    Barb

[​IMG]

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    That's a lotta canola oil:biggrin::cool: . [If you get the chance, show us a close-up of the canola flower too.]

8. Canola for Bob

It was a bit breezy this AM but tried for a closeup. The flowers are small...a bit smaller that a dime across

[​IMG]

Barb

9. great thread
    love the RULE-OF-THIRDS re-crop

10. Thanks Greg. Now all I have to do is get "aspect ratio" straight in my head :redface:
    Barb

11. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Barb -- might be small, but they're a pretty flower. That yellow is just right:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.