Pray for Jiuzhaigou

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Phil K, Aug 9, 2017.

1. I was devastated yesterday to learn that a big earthquake hit Sichuan again. This time the epic centre was near Jiuzhaigou, one of the most beautiful place on earth. I went there 10 years and 2 years ago and as far as I know, some of the beauty landscapes and lakes were destroyed. Of course the main focus now is to help those affected, providing them shelters and daily necessities and to save life. I post some photos here to remind myself the natural beauty of the area. Photos, especially with my skill, are a far cry from the real beautiful scene as one really has to go there to immense in the surrounding to appreciate the awesome nature.

Please pray for Jiuzhaigou.

20151021-DSCF6155.

20151022-DSCF6213.

20151021-DSCF6169.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Natural disasters such as this are horrible events and the toll they take on people and the beauty of areas such as this are terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of this area.

3. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Thanks, hadn't heard about this earthquake.

4. I had not heard of this either. A quick Google Search turns up a lot of information. I echo Gordon's sentiments above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for letting us know of this tragedy. Thoughts and prayers for those affected.....and concern about what devastation there may be to the natural beauty of the area.

6. BBDDD25C-BF5B-4346-B198-CB05FFAA2B34. 259FBA4A-32EE-4003-AACE-7161C1A93EC8.

Above are what the waterfall and lake look like now

• Wow Wow x 1
  7. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I loved seeing your beautiful photographs.

It's so sad to see the devastation of that beautiful National Park.
    It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a lot of money has been spent there to create trails and boardwalks through this pristine place and that will all have been destroyed.

Jiuzhaigou is at about 10,000 feet and is quite remote in the Tibetan Mountains (part of the Himalayas). To get there by road involves a day-long and distinctly treacherous drive on a logging road so evacuating the people caught in this disaster; and getting food and medical supplies up there; is not going to be easy. There are very likely to have been landslides on that road as well (as there frequently are throughout the mountainous region of west Sichuan). There is also a small airport (with Yaks and sheep grazing nearby!) but, unless things have changed, the runway is quite short so it can only handle smaller planes.

I photographed there in 2007 (just six months before another ferocious earthquake devastated Chengdu in the same province) and am just processing some scans and will post some pictures shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Phil, for the update! Such a poignant reminder of the power unleashed by these natural forces. I can only hope that in time new scenic areas will be created to replace the ones that were lost.

9. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

What a tragedy. Thanks, Phil, and thoughts and prayers for all.

10. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Phil:
    I have just realised (by comparing the degree of autumn colour in the foliage in your photographs with mine) that it seems we were both in Jiuzhaigou at exactly the same time in October, 2007?

That really is an extraordinary co-incidence!

I didn't want to hijack your thread so I have started another one (Paradise Lost) and posted some photographs there and will add more during the next few days.