Praying Mantis...no more

I had quite a surprise on Monday, drove 150 miles to shoot Osprey chicks but sure didn't expect to be shooting the interaction between a Kingbird and a Praying Mantis. While I was concentrating on the Osprey nest I noticed a lot of activity off to my left, glancing over there I saw a Kingbird flying around catching something quite large and green. When I swung my camera around and took a look low and behold it was a Kingbird alright but what it had in its mouth was a first for me, a Praying Mantis. I've only seen a Praying Mantis in the wild one time before and never in this situation. This Kingbird flew off with its catch and flew back into this field a half dozen times and each time it caught a Praying Mantis and would either eat it while there or fly off with it presumable to its nest.

DSC_6187 72wf.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_6285 72wf.jpg

DSC_6293 72wf.jpg

Louie

I had quite a surprise on Monday, drove 150 miles to shoot Osprey chicks but sure didn't expect to be shooting the interaction between a Kingbird and a Praying Mantis. While I was concentrating on the Osprey nest I noticed a lot of activity off to my left, glancing over there I saw a Kingbird flying around catching something quite large and green. When I swung my camera around and took a look low and behold it was a Kingbird alright but what it had in its mouth was a first for me, a Praying Mantis. I've only seen a Praying Mantis in the wild one time before and never in this situation. This Kingbird flew off with its catch and flew back into this field a half dozen times and each time it caught a Praying Mantis and would either eat it while there or fly off with it presumable to its nest.

View attachment 1665718

View attachment 1665719

View attachment 1665723

View attachment 1665721

Louie
Top gun with your camera.
Beautiful set Louie.🤓

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amazing shots Louie. I have heard of a Praying Mantis actually attacking and killing smaller birds like Hummers.
Thanks very much Gordon.
Top gun with your camera.
Beautiful set Louie.🤓
Appreciate it, thanks.
Great series. I love watching Kingbirds, they are always so active.
Thanks Nick, this one sure put on a show for me on this morning.
A feast for a king for sure !
Thank you.
Great series!
Thank you Terri.
Great captures Louie.
That's it. I'm going to shoot Ospreys with Louis. Amazing series.
Hey Bobby, many thanks.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom