Pre-ordered the D5100

I pre-ordered a D5100 from Amazon this morning. $800.00 Without a lens. Wonder how long it will take?

I'm really looking forward to the Hi-ISO performance as I currently have a D2x, D2Hs and almost unused D200. Never had video in a D-SLR either.

My friend has a D7k and has issues with it blowing the highlights (pretty badly sometimes), hope they fixed this in the 5100.

Now I wait.......:rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5100-D..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HBFAJJF802455VD6QS6

I doubt there are issues with blown highlights on the d7k. I can blow out highlights on the best camera.

Why roll your eyes for a company and nation that just got hit by a catastrophic event? Usually the body only borders are fulfilled after a couple of months of the kit orders being fulfilled. May take longer with situation in Japan.

I doubt there are issues with blown highlights on the d7k. I can blow out highlights on the best camera.

Why roll your eyes for a company and nation that just got hit by a catastrophic event? Usually the body only borders are fulfilled after a couple of months of the kit orders being fulfilled. May take longer with situation in Japan.

I won't air my opinions about japan and their current problems here. I certainly was not "Rolling my Eyes" in regards to that.

Seems to me that Nikon announced the camera well after the catastrophe you mentioned occurred (3.5 weeks). Based on that fact in evidence, I would hope the camera would be ready to release or at least close to it when announced. Unfortunately, Nikon has announced prior camera releases well in advance of the subject camera actuallly being available to the public, therefore ..... now I wait :rolleyes:

I won't air my opinions about japan and their current problems here. I certainly was not "Rolling my Eyes" in regards to that.

Seems to me that Nikon announced the camera well after the catastrophe you mentioned occurred (3.5 weeks). Based on that fact in evidence, I would hope the camera would be ready to release or at least close to it when announced. Unfortunately, Nikon has announced prior camera releases well in advance of the subject camera actuallly being available to the public, therefore ..... now I wait :rolleyes:

Bummer for you. :rolleyes:

My understanding is the D5100 is made in Thailand, therefore the impact on production should not be affected.

My understanding is the D5100 is made in Thailand, therefore the impact on production should not be affected.

I wasn't concerned about Nikon's damaged facilities in Japan delaying production. I have no expectation that this camera would be manufactured in Japan.

My concern is based on Nikon's previous history of there sometimes being a long delay between announcement and actual release.

If things were going to be significantly delayed, I don't believe that Nikon would have announced it.

Even before the tragic earthquake and its after-effects, Nikon had been struggling to fulfill D7000 demand, several months after the announcement. And the D7000 is assembled in Thailand.

D7000 availability had been improving, though -- more and more appearances at larger retailers. That's when I bought one. But that evaporated and it's extremely scarce again.

Thus I agree that D5100 availability might be challenged initially.

Got tired of waiting for the D5100 and ordered a D7000 body from B&H today. I'll have it in my hands Wednesday. They have them in stock for $1,200.00. Amazon wants $1,400.00 for the body only this afternoon. Funny, amazon had it for $1,200 this morning.

The D5100's big draw for me was the 102K ISO night vision. I'm sure I can live with the D7000's 25k ISO converted to B&W if it's that dark. Especially considering I'm currently shooting a D2Hs and a D2x and limited to 3200 and 1600 respectively.

Got tired of waiting for the D5100 and ordered a D7000 body from B&H today. I'll have it in my hands Wednesday. They have them in stock for $1,200.00. Amazon wants $1,400.00 for the body only this afternoon. Funny, amazon had it for $1,200 this morning.

The D5100's big draw for me was the 102K ISO night vision. I'm sure I can live with the D7000's 25k ISO converted to B&W if it's that dark. Especially considering I'm currently shooting a D2Hs and a D2x and limited to 3200 and 1600 respectively.

"Amazon" has not had these in stock for some time. The sub vendors are setting the price, which is all over the place. So it should be referred to as "XCompany" through Amazon, IMO. Amazon gets a bad wrap on pricing.

Actually it was who Amazon had the D7000 for $1200 in the morning, By the time I decided to order Amazon was out and only their partner sellers had it at the inflated price.

I found it at B&H in the afternoon for $1200 and pulled the plug. B&H was sold out this morning. I noticed Amazon, not one of their partner sellers, had the D7000 today for $1400 in the morning and $1500 later in the day.

Where will it end?

And again $1200 from Amazon proper today. Gotta stay on it if your shopping for sure. B&H was asking stupid numbers for a D90 body but now have dropped it $150 to where it should be. Ever changing pricing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom