Critique Preening flamingo question- do I add the eye?

Torn am I.
I really rarely manipulate images like this- but the bird in the original shot just would not cooperate. I needed to find his manager. The light was really nice, but closed eye.
Earlier, different bird- not as nicely colored. Light not as good, but similar in color. But that bird stared at me, so lots of eye shots.
Do I dare swap eyes? Does photoshop have a replace eye tool?
As this is to be a pretty fine art piece "over the couch" kind of thing I may try it, but would never do it in a show.
Thoughts?
gary

Original:
Orlando12-1-2022332.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Add an eye:
Orlando12-1-2022332 plusI.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Why not add the eye? You did a nice job on the photoshopping. I'm probably biased. My mother cannot keep her eyes open for photos. I have three sets of her eyes saved from lucky shots over the years and I routinely use them to "open" her eyes during family photo shots.

Call me crazy, but I prefer #1 with the eye closed. Has a sleeping motif I find peaceful and calming.

That was my thought as well. I somehow had it in my brain I wanted the classic image of eye open- and was disappointed when this bird would not give it to me.
Napping Flamingo is a different way to look at it!
I actually submitted both- along with about 5 others. I will be curious what they pick. I'll post it here, if I haven't posted it already
Thanks for keeping my feet on the ground.
gary

Real Name
Dan
...Do I dare swap eyes? Does photoshop have a replace eye tool?
As this is to be a pretty fine art piece "over the couch" kind of thing I may try it, but would never do it in a show.
Is your dilemma ethical or artistic? It's not photojournalism. Nor are you selling to NatGeo or other organization with specific rules/requirements. It's art. And you're the artist. Presumably you've already manipulated the lighting, colors, etc, during PP. Where do you draw the line? IMO you spent the time in the field gathering your raw data. How you meld that into a final image is an artistic question and only becomes an ethical and/or legal question based on how you represent the image to the buyer.

... I actually submitted both- along with about 5 others. I will be curious what they pick. ...
That's the perfect solution. If the client doesn't care why should you?

Interestingly when I saw the original image I thought that it would be perfect with the eye open and would likely be my fave of the group. But now I see them side by side I like the closed eye. Something just doesn't look right about the other one. Maybe simply because I saw the original first. FWIW that's been my own experience when I've tried making similar changes. Either my editing skills just stink or I'm biased knowing what the original looks like. But I'm never satisfied with the results changing anything beyond perhaps cloning a bit of fur over a bald spot.

At any rate, congrats in the base case that you have a client who wants that size print of one of your images.

I actually have several similar images with the eye open on different birds. I of coarse like the feathering better on this bird. It seems to always be something.
It is amazing what we can do, it is a great time to be a photographer!!
One of my favorite shots of my mom has her eyes closed. It can work. I wasn't sure how it would be perceived with birds.
The first image, eye closed, is printed, matted and labeled as "Peaceful Slumber". I think it works. We will see what the client thinks.
Again, I want to thank the group for being my audience and focus group. I am often to close to my own works and it is very helpful to hear others thoughts. Especially important during this lockdown, where my local groups are not meeting.
Thanks again!
Shoot more
gary

I like the idea of having an eye. However, in your second image the eye is too open for me. Do you have an image of a half opened eye?
Interesting idea. Image actually went to print with eye closed. I have hundreds of these- something about the light on this one caught my fancy. The closed eye grew on me, so it stayed that way.
Thanks again, all, for the support and guidance. As I often say- I am too close to my images, they are like my children sometimes. I like to hear what others think as well.
gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom