Premium Presentation Paper Matte on an Epson R1800.

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by janil, May 27, 2007.

1. I recently picked up a refurb Epson R1800 printer. I've been printing with the Premium Photo Paper Glossy, and am happy with the output.

I normally prefer matte, so picked up some 11x14 Premium Presentation Paper Matte. I am very unhappy with it so far. The colors are fine, but it seems that the has lower detail--details are missing when I print on the Matte paper that show up on glossy paper. This doesn't make sense to me, as I use Lightroom for both, with the same settings outside of paper size & paper type.

It's possible I could be printing on the wrong side of the paper, as it's difficult to tell the difference. I'm sure I'm not taking into account something simple. I also realize I'm probably not giving enough information.

I'm also surprised that the paper feels more like "construction paper" than a photo paper.

Does anyone prefer other matte papers?

Thanks...

2. Three I like:
    Inkpress Warm Tone 300
    Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Duo
    Epson Heavyweight Matte

3. Mike...

Thanks for the info and suggestions...

4. Have you tried the other side of the paper?

I keep making that mistake myself. I wish they would put some sort of watermark on the 'off' side.

5. Beezle:

I tried the other side... that was the problem-- the prints look very nice now.

Thanks for the advice... I feel silly about this now. I think it would be very nice if there were a simple way to tell which side is which.

Also, the package says formerly "Matte Paper-- Heavyweight". They may be the same paper.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    If you look under good light, the proper side is whiter I think.

7. That is how I always was able to tell, the wrong side appeared off white or yellow to me.

8. Lick the corner of the paper the:sticky side is the print side

9. I like the ideas... thanks. I don't know if I'm ready to go so far as to lick the paper, though. :smile:

On a side note, does it seem like the embarrassing posts-- the ones that show how you missed something simple-- are always the ones that live on?