1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Premium products from peregrine practice?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Jul 2, 2008.

1. My latest attempts, are they a little better than the previous ones?
    The male brings in food.

Bolton007_103.
    NIKON D300    ---    420mm    f/7.1    1/1250s    ISO 640

The young birds are now flying strongly and come a little closer than the adults: they are easy to distinguish from their parents because of their brown plumage and streaked breasts.
    I have cropped all these photos a little and I have obscured the numbers on the birds' red and white rings - all young peregrines in the UK are ringed and DNA tested to prevent them from being stolen for falconry etc.
    Contre-jour

Bolton007_150.
    NIKON D300    ---    420mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    ISO 640

Flying round the clock tower of Bolton Town Hall

Bolton008_034.
    NIKON D300    ---    420mm    f/6.3    1/1250s    ISO 1000

Bolton008_035.
    NIKON D300    ---    420mm    f/6.3    1/1250s    ISO 1000

Bolton008_066.
    NIKON D300    ---    420mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    ISO 640

Bolton008_068.
    NIKON D300    ---    420mm    f/7.1    1/1000s    ISO 640

These photos were taken on the 30th June and 1st July. Unfortunately one of the young falcons got tangled up in anti-pigeon netting on 2nd. She has been taken to an RSPCA hospital - I hope she will make a full recovery.

Photos with D300, 300mm f/4 and TC1.4

Alan

2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    The last one is my Fav, but nice series over all....I hope the young recovers, we had two pulled from a river in Portland several weeks ago. A couple of boaters saved them...

3. Alan, if you can read the numbers on the leg rings, your photos qualify as fantastic!

Keep up the great work,
    Bob & Nan

4. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I especially like the fourth, because of the spire in the BG. But the last is cool as well.

5. Must be thrilling to have these guys around. Like the last shot best.

6. nice shooting., we have some of these beauties near here, in Niagara Falls, and I have been there 2x, and I think I am hooked... sure is some fun shooting!

7. Thank you all for the feedback.
    All birds are interesting and wonderful subjects for photography - but a few species are very special, and the peregrine has always been at the top of the list for me: so I understand exactly how Raymond feels.
    The good news is that the injured young bird is doing well.

Alan

8. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Cool shots, sorry i missed these, i'll have to bring my gear into town some time ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.