Preoccupied with IR

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by nfoto, Sep 15, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

OK, so now even the most casual IR shooter knows by heart that IR is about bright trees, black skies, and a life-less colour rendition. Is this the end to IR as a field of photography? Aren't there any more avenues to explore? Take your IR camera with you everywhere, all the time, just to find out.

(Nikon D70 (IR-modified), 20/3.5 Nikkor lens, 89B filter)

2. Interesting image and the ghostly apparition in the center makes it.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very nice shot! This picture looks more like IR film to me than digital IR. I suppose that's due to being a modified D70? It's the 'glow' - as film has no opaque (antihalation) layer, th light bounces around in the film - what's causing that effect here?

And as Gordon syas, nice placement of the girl in the foreground shade.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

There is no reason why one might not emulate "IR-film" including the halation side-effect(s). Consider it done :)

The IR-modified D70 just has had its internal filter pack ripped out. I don't replace this with an IR filter, because I want to be able to shoot with a wide variety of IR filters (on the lens) afterwards. Not being able to see anything in the viewfinder makes me feel much more relaxed and easy-going about the whole IR endeavour, and I think it's actually easier to make good compositions this way.

D70 has a skewed IR sensitivity across the three colour channels and the 89B filter used here is insufficient to balance the channels properly. You get overly red images and colour-balancing is neither easy nor very meaningful. The 87 or 87C/RM90 type filters are much better suited and what I normally use for this camera. However, on this assignment I believed I had the appropriate filter mounted, but as images later showed, I was mistaken.

My old D1, likewise modified for IR, delivers much better IR images than the D70, but of course D70 has bigger files. You can't get everything in a single package. So I alternate between them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  5. Bjorn,

Once again, your talent as a photographic artist has completely put me at awe. This is the type of shot I would expect to see at a gallery. Absolutely wonderful, thanks for sharing it with us!

6. Hello Bjorn,

Very interesting picture - could be a poster for a thriller.

Thanks for explaining some technical details.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bjorn,

Very nice image. I like IR images alot. This is quite special. Never saw one like this.

But then look who took it. Someone Special

8. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm totally with you on that Bjørn. I have great respect for work done in the traditional vein, but I'm gonna have to do things different. My D70 mod will be here tomorrow, and I will have a go at a lot of different things. Dunno how many of them will work out, but it should be interesting.

AMAZING shot btw... really drives the point home.

Steve