1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Preserving EXIF data in cropped images in PS CS2

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Argent, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Ok - so if I keep a shot out of my D300 - do minor stuff to it and don't crop it (just resize it) - and save as - it appears to keep the EXIF data

however if I take a shot out of my D300 - do minor stuff to it AND crop for composition - I lose the EXIF data

there something I'm missing?

2. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    are you cropping in camera?

and are you doing a Save for Web?

As an aside you can get Opanda's exif viewer/editor and add back any info you want to keep. www.opanda.com

3. no I crop in Photoshop

and I do Save As not Save for Web

4. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I can't get it to not do it. I've never had that problem....boink, hits head ...you have cs2 duh!I'll check up on it.

5. ps cs 2 preserves the EXIF data
    but.... SMUGMUG strips it when linked here
    on my smugmug site.... the exif data is fine
    but..... at THE CAFE... it isn't visible.... for whatever reason

6. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Paul, Is you're concern that exif from images linked from your Flicker account is not visible when viewed on the web? If so, try posting the image in it's original size. Flicker strips exif from all but the original size image. SmugMug does the same thing.

7. now...... THERE'S the answer for which I was searching
    thanks

8. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Oh so it's a web thing, I thought that it was a file on his computer.

Paul do you have Opanda? try viewing the exif with a file that is from your computer then the same one on the web, I'll bet that that is it.

Photobucket lets you keep your exif files if that is the problem.

9. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I can't believe that they don't keep the metadata. All someone has to do is right click an image and save and all the copyright info is gone then....not that people can't find a way to remove it anyways...but still, that is crazy.

10. Yes I have opanda - thats how I know my EXIF data is stripped out of my cropped images

Example of a cropped image of mine - in Opanda and what 'data' is left
    cropped_.

EDIT: I may have solved my own 'problem'

I don't actually use the crop tool - I actually cut n paste (can't use the crop tool something about scratch disc problem or something) and I'm guessing that's why I lose my data...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.