prevailing price 500P

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dmwphoto, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I am looking at a used 500mm P f/4 lens that has some very light scuff/wear marks but pristine glass and neither theseller or I have a value established. Can anyone provide info that would provide a fair basis for both parties?
    Dave
    The seller is a respected friend of mine.

2. If I recall correctly, the last one I saw for sale was some months ago and it was $1500. I just don't remember its condition. These don't seem to appear very often.

3. Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info.
    Dave

4. A friend active on the Cafe sold hers for $1800 about 1 year ago. It was probably in Like New Minus condition. She paid about the same when she bought it (used, too).

5. thanks Glenn!

6. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Dave:
    My brother bought one a year ago on ebay for about $2200. Got a 1.4 TC with it as well, both in good condition. I just checked ebay and they've sold recently for between $1700 and $2700 depending on condition. Good lens for birds. My brother gets frustrated with lack of af at times but hasn't jumped ship. You might want to consider af-i if you can handle the weight. I bought a 400/2.8/af-i for less than half the cost of an af-s II and it does a great job. KEH has two of these 400's now but the 5/600 af-i's are a rarity.
    Best of luck.
    Dave

7. Thanks Dave. I recently sold a 500 AFS-I because it was my most expensive glass producing the least of my work. Just looking for a 500 to have when I must have (large mammals etc) without parking a ton of cash.

8. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I've seen like-new ones for $2,000 Dave. Good luck, you will love the lens.

9. Thanks Chris. You have done some amazing work with your copy