1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Previously Solved Problem Returns: Phone Plays Music That Isn't Downloaded On It

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by McQ, Oct 3, 2018.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

If anyone recalls this thread I posted a while back... There was an issue wherein iTunes would play music over my iPhone that wasn't physically on my iPhone (but stored in my iCloud account) when I would get in my car. Eamonn and Richard and a few others chimed in and eventually the problem was fixed.

So, cut to the past several months and it's doing it again! But this time, the music app has changed enough that the steps we figured out are no longer available to fix it.

Another look at Apple's support communities yielded me no answers.

So...anyone having this happen to them as well? Anyone know how to fix it?

2. Not sure if it is the same every time I plug my iPhone in my car it insist on playing music from my list, it is always the 1st one in alphabetical order.
    I got along with it and am now quite familiar with the lines of this piece.

3. Come to think of it I wonder if it is not because the car’s audio system is making an automatic request to the iPhone to play music.
    That may be a setting in the car’s audio.
    As far as cloud vs local, I switch mobile data off in the individual app list. That takes care of the cost when roaming.

4. If it starts playing Ghosts in the Machine run, in fact run fast.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Better yet, call 1-800-555-2368 for help!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. McQ

Thanks for the reply, Morty.
    The car is definitely remembering that the iPhone was the last thing connected via Bluetooth and it's queuing it up again. But the real problem is, of course, that the phone is retrieving music that is not physically on it. I know you understand that part. What I can't figure out is why. And the old solution to the problem no longer applies because the Music App doesn't have the same functional buttons as it did two years ago, so I don't know what setting to turn off to prevent this.

I guess I can do what you do and turn off Mobile Data. I have unlimited data so I've always left it turned on. My only concern with turning it off is what might be adversly affected by turning it off. How does it affect your phone otherwise?

7. McQ

Oh, a couple of comedians? Why I oughta...! :D 

8. I switch it off or on on an app by app basis.
    As per the screen shot.
    I am using ios 12 and it enables the user to
    either switch mobile data off completely (in the old traditional way -sort off)
    or in the Mobile Data menu, if you scroll down you will be able to set mobile data individually for each app. I think this might be a recent feature.

Would that work for you?

9. McQ

Morty, yes, that would seem to be a good way to keep this from happening. I find it odd that Apple would remove the ability of the phone to play only downloaded songs. Ugh! But everything to do with iTunes has just gotten less intuitive over the years.

And it's not that I have anything against the ability of the phone to play any song in my iTunes collection, it's just that I don't need to hear Handel's Messiah, or White Christmas in September, the moment I turn my car on. :eek: 

Thanks for your help!

10. 226D7B01-EF1D-4B41-B318-41EE03FDFF5C.
    There are more settings in the Music menu that may be exactly what you are after.
    Such as Apple Music and ICloud Library.

You might find that they control the behaviour of the iPhone in the way you wish.

Best of luck

11. McQ

Thanks, Morty. I was looking at some of those settings recently. I'm going to dig in a little bit more on some of them.

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    Do you manage your music in iTunes then sync it to your device or do you only have music on your device? The iCloud music thing is new to me as I don't use anything of the sort (actually have Apple Music disabled in the Restrictions panel). I also noticed the "free" cloud download tracks they provided me (like U2) were showing up so I had to physically delete them from displaying but I only manage my music on my laptop and sync over to my devices so not sure how helpful i'll be in this.

13. McQ

I manage all my music through iTunes and then sync to my phone. Always have done this. All of my iPhone backups are to iCloud as well. I don't use Apple Music and have it disabled.

14. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    I can't see it right now but I think iTunes has a "show cloud tracks" or something like that. Do that and tell it to hide/remove them (delete if possible). Create playlists with your songs and sync the playlists to your devices (instead of all songs).

15. McQ

I've never seen anything like that in iTunes before. However, one thing that seems to alleviate the problem, although not technically solving the bug, is what MortyCapp suggested - turning off my cellular data for Music. That makes it stop.

I just wish Apple, with all it's gazillions of dollars, would spend some of that money on an improved syncing and music service.

16. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    Under View Options, choose iCloud Download. then sort and select all of the ones you don't want and tell it to "Delete from Library". This will essentially "hide" them. Then you just keep managing your playlists like you have been and sync it over to your phone that way.

Turning off cellular probably "works" but that's not the solution.

17. McQ

I really don't know what you're referring to here. "View Options". Where is this? Are you talking about in iTunes on my Mac? iTunes on my iPhone? Somewhere else? Can you include some context?

18. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    Sorry, when I say iTunes that's on your computer (the app on your phone is called "Music"). So yes, this is on your computer and in iTunes. Under view --> view options. This is why i asked you if you managed your music on your phone or on your computer. I know people do it differently, not sure why, but they do.

19. IMHO iTunes, Music and the entire Apple Music ecosystem is an awful mess.
    There are so many different use cases that it is a nightmare to know what is going on.
    What is happening to my CDs that I converted years ago through iTunes?
    What is happening with the Music I bought directly from iTunes?
    And the CDs I bought on Amazon and imported through iTunes?
    And the Music I have access to through my monthly subscription?
    How do I get a consistent experience on my iPhone, iPad, laptop, Apple TV?
    The UX is terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.