Price check - 300 2.8 AF-S

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kiwi, Jul 9, 2008.

1. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    These are pretty hard to come by 2nd hand by the looks. I put a WTB on cafe and got zip.

But. I have found a couple for sale elsewhere at about $3200 USD - KEH has one for example.

Is this too much or about fair do you think for a good quality sample (without VR) ?

I know Harry Lavo was going to let his go for $2600 at some stage

2. That sounds a bit hight for a non-VR lens. I think the 300mm AFS II lenses are priced between $2500 to $2950 used. I purchased my lens a day before someone on the Cafe sold their 300 VR lens for about $3150.00. It was a bargain!!

3. rich_h

rich_h

Oct 9, 2007
    Colorado
    It depends on your timing and the condition. A 300 AFS II in perfect condition is usually about 3K. For $2500 you get a well used one. I've been looking for three months for a used AFS II and just found one here. I wanted the AFS II instead of the VR because it is lighter and easier to handhold.

4. I bought a Nikon 300mm f2.8 version II on ebay a couple of months ago and paid $2500 and some change. Was in mint condition except for scratches on the foot, which is to be expected.

5. rawke

rawke

Jun 16, 2008
    Canada
    I've been looking at the AF-S II for way too long now. In the past I've seen them go for a beat up $2200 to $3000 w/RRS plate. The average seems to hover around the $2500-$2700 mark. Too bad they are incredibly hard to find now that I actually have the funds to get one.

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i bought a mint 300vr w/ receipt and rrs foot (it was originally dave watts') for 3500 (i picked it up)...
    I've seen 300vr's go for 3600-3900 here, almost always mint
    I think the VR is worth a grand if you are a birder and want to hand hold the lens. Active VR from my moving boat made a huge diff in shooting ospreys, even at fast ss-s

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  7. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    which is kinda counter intuitive because VR makes the lens perform much better hand held, even at fast ss-s

8. rich_h

rich_h

Oct 9, 2007
    Colorado
    I should have said that I only use it for sports (Hockey) where VR doesn't help. For wildlife and static subjects, or shooting from a boat, VR is invaluable.

9. I have a 300 AF-S f2.8 that I bought new in 2003, $2895! Still looks about new, too.
    Noooooooooo it's not for sale.

10. FWIW: Save some $$$ and get yourself the AF-I version. Darn close to the AF-S focus performance and identical as far as IQ goes. Just a tad heavier also - no big deal.
    I got mine at $ 1,900.

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Randy, as much as I'd like the VR, $ rules, but will keep looking for bargains..you never know what will crop up and I'll be patient

Frits, what I'd read was that the AF-I was really quite slow re AF compared to AF-S and since I'll be using it 100% for sports that VERY important to me ?

Is there anywhere apart from here and ebay to look ?

12. The 300 2.8 af-edif is slow autofocus, the AF-I is fast like the AF-S. What I would be concerned about is repair support of the older AF-I.

13. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    A friend of mine just took delivery of one yesterday that he bought on e-bay over this past holiday weekend. I think he dropped about $2400 total which was his limit anyway. You can tell it's been used but the glass is in real good shape. It just happened to be an AF-S II version also.

He believes what helped him get this was that there was no picture and not a whole lot of fancy promotion behind it. The seller said it was used to shoot ice skating indoors. He followed up by checking the seller's site which confirmed that he shot a lot of figure skating competitions. The other thing was that the bidding was closing on July 4th and he figured not too many people would be watching e-bay because they would be out doing holiday stuff.

So just before he took off to a cookout, he won. I'd say he got quite a bargain.

You'll find one. Just as you said, be patient.