Prices at exhibitions

At the place where my daughter has music lessons they also do art exhibitions.
This week it was all photographs by one photographer, Grazina Strolia.
They also have the pieces for sale and I was amazed by the prices. I believe it was around $300 for an 8x10 framed. I wouldn't be so stunned if the framing was done well and the pictures were of good quality but all the pictures, and I mean all of them seemed to be of poor print quality, looking out-of-focus. I intentionally say print quality cause I found a picture on-line and it seemed to be sharp.

GrazinaArtShow.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get of my chest.

B

BigPixel

Price is usually based on name recognition, venue and an artist's reputation. $300 for a framed 8x10 does seem a bit high for an unknown photographer at a venue such as you describe. I just googled Grazina and turned up your daughgter's school and this show. all the site says about this woman is that she's a NJ photographer. If she has a following, she could command this price. Doesn't mean she'll sell it though. Art in a gallery is just a commodity like anything else.

Sometimes the price is perception. If it is expensive it must be good. I know of a guy that had a gift shop and had some silver trays like from a tea service type thing. Obviuos not much of a product, quality-wise had them priced like at $9.95 didnt sell one in 6 months. Marked them up to $59.95 and sold all 24 of them in a week and a half.

Latest threads

Top Bottom