Prices for Nikon DSLRs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Let's speculate about prices :biggrin:.

The d700 will sell for $3,000 until the initial surge of demand is over and the pipeline is full. But then I expect etailers like buydig.com to offer it for $2,700 so they can compete with B&H.

The demand for the d3 will be reduced, and I expect its price will drop to the low $4000s. In fact, secondary etailers, like dbuys.com, are already offering it for under $4300. That means the used d3 market will have to drop to under $4,000.

The first adopters will start dumping their d300s and upgrading to d700s. I'm already seeing new d300 prices around $1,500, so the used market should drop to around $1,250.

The d200 no longer has the faintest amount of "new toy" appeal. Used prices are already in the $800-900 range, and should drop to the $650-750 range. I may be biased, but I think this camera is already the best buy in the used market.... which is why I own two of them :cool: .

Whatcha think?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Sounds reasonable to me Frank...too bad my D50 won't go up in value anytime soon. :biggrin:

3. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Then I think I'll just wait and buy a used D3.

4. Ditto. (in time)

God Bless,
    David

5. I'll wait for a good used copy of the d700 at $2200. That could happen by next January.

6. Frank, I think I'll wait as well. I have no need for high ISOs, and my D300 is doing me very well, and the D200 is a great backup camera with very similar settings. It's just not worth the money if you sell the D200, IMHO. I'm all set in DX!

7. Adrien

Adrien

Jun 7, 2006
    The 661
    I don't have any plans of 'dumping' my D300 for a D700. The D700 offers no advantages to me personally. I'm soon going to be buying a second D300 actually.

Adrien

8. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    The D700 will only steal some of the D300's thunder. For one thing, it's nearly double the cost. For another, not everyone WANTS full frame (I don't, I typicly do tele work and DX is an advantage). The D700 is aimed at a different market. The fashion/wedding/indoor/event/landscape type market. People that need clean high ISO and wide angles.

The D700 is Nikons (very late!) answer to the 5D. I would be far and away to say the 5D stole much 30D/40D sales. People bought one or the other for their own reasons. Some bought both.

Where the D700 will step into the D300 market is the few that really, really wanted FX sensors but could not justify 3x the price on a D3.

9. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I agree. a D3 would be sweet. but I dont really need it. I think the D300 will be my last body. (at least digital) for a long while. maybe some day I'll get a D3 when they get under 2k :) 

10. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Probably in about a year or so when they release a new model, just like the D2xs's now are lucky to fetch $1500, even though they sold for $5,000 just a year ago.

11. Remember all those fantastic photos your camera use to take...
    Well its all going to stop now that a new camera has been released and you will have to rush out and get one.... NOT....

First it was why every one wanted the D300 FX equivalent e.g. D700, and now well start to hear all the grips about what doesn't work on it and why you do or don't need it..
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't.. LOL....

Bottom line, if your camera does everything you want, great, if not then look at what camera it will take to do it....
    There all great for what they were designed for...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  12. Lots of different scenarios, every one of them looks good for the consumer.

13. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Frank,I realy like my D200 but I have two concerns with it.

1 The grip, I like the fill of the grip and the use of a virtical shutter release. But the quality of the grip is less than acceptable. If I have the grip on and use a L bracket on the tripod there is a lot of flex between the two (grip and body). This bothers me.

2 Focus speed, now this can be me of course but I do not think so. I just do not get an acceptable amount of keepers. Even with the 70-200 2.8. Especialy when photograghing watersking and wakeboarding from the boat. Once again this could be me or it could be the lens or the D200 is not up the job:confused: 

After this weekend (4th) I am sending my D200 and 70-200 in for sevice. the rubber is lifting a little on the camera and there is a dust speck I can not get rid of.

If after service it does perform to my satisfaction I AM SWITCHING TO CANON:eek: :biggrin:

Just kidding about switching to canon.

If I am not happy I am going to look into a D2x with it pro body and build plus the better focus system and the lower cost of them I belive it would be a no brainer.

14. Honestly I think the D700 will end up doing just like Canons 5D did (stay pretty much unchanged for a number of years and after the initial 'rush' end up not selling all that hot). Isnt gonna cut all that much into the D3 market nor really upset the D300 market.

Surprised they didnt name it D300FX.

15. The d700 is to the d3 as the d200 was to the d2x.

Both the d2x and d200 were successful, with the d200 being the high volume unit.

The d3 is already a big hit. The d700 will be the high volume FX camera.

16. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Hi Frank,
    Your pricing analysis makes sense. I won't be dumping my D300, however, I'll be looking at the D700 for a 2nd body. I think the two in tandem make a great combination. The D700 as a studio and low light body, the D300 for when I need the apparent extra reach the crop factor gives you. I had already budgeted a D3 for later this year, or early next year. I don't need the speed of the D3, so the D700 makes more sense, and I'll have money left over to buy a few gallons of gas:frown:.

17. Frank what shocked me was

Frank what shocked me was that I paid $4800 for my D3 in Canadian dollars and they sell them in Europe for 4799 Euros, that's like $7,700 Canadian! Augh! AUGH!!! Me think I'll sell the D3 here along with a few lenses before heading back to Canada... NOT! But you never know...

18. Frank, I would like to see prices for the D3 drop as you have listed. However, you can't base D3 prices on dbuys.com, they are for the most part a sham operation (really read their "bad" reviews on resellerratings.com, they are really inflated at 8.35/10). Most legit sellers are $4800 and up.

19. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank, I think that your price assessment is pretty close to what I would say.

In fact I just bought a D3 last month for $4600 shipped from a good US vendor that I deal with a lot, and have bought a lot from.

I don't worry about long term depreciation, I bought one of my last D200 cameras new for 1299 with a quick sale coupon from BH, and sold it for 900 after nearly 20 thousand shots, and a whole entire year of use and some paid gigs, I wasn't worried about loosing $400.00 for the use I got out of the camera.

Of course, it is all timing. I sold my D200 bodies at the right time while they were still going for $950 or more last september. now, that camera would net me $800 or lower. :wink:

As you said, time and depreciation marches on.

20. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I'm looking forward to the used D300 market. Maybe it's finally time to sell the D50 for a D300. Though it would be very, very sad...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.