Prices Going Up Up Up.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sandman76, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Just got off the phone with a camera store I placed an order with. They were just doing a curtousy call to me to see if I wanted any filters with the lens I ordered. We got talking about the soon to be implimented Nikon price increase and the guy I talked to said Nikon wasn't the only one; that the Sigma rep was around last week and had said that their prices are going up as well sometime in February. This store is a Canadian store so who knows about the US; but I wouldn't be surprised the US gets it too.

For those who read this and are curious, it's the Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG/HS I ordered.

2. So much for deflation...

3. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    My local B&M told me that hadn't heard that Nikon was having a price increase. Of course this is the same store that told me that B&H is in financial trouble and blowing out gear below cost to raise money for the diamond side of there business. They also told me that Sigma lenses were crap and only had a 1 year warranty, and that the Tamron 17-35 is discontinued and the only one I would find was the refurb one they had in stock.

Sometimes I wonder why we place such a high value on local service when I get fed this kind of make believe.

4. that's why I buy pre owned.

5. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    with the price hike im probably going to be forced to do that. when i can get 300 knocked off on a slighly used lense it dont make much sense to buy a new one for that kind of discount.

I dont understand why nikon feels a price hike is necessary, its probably going to hurt them in the long run. I know prescious metals arnt cheap right now but never heard of glass going up or plastic. This decision probably will hurt them. Lets hope not I love there cameras

6. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    +1

7. I waited a few hours too long. I went to order the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 about 30 minutes ago from Adorama as they had it listed at $875, while B&H had already raised their price to $925. I refreshed the 80-200 page to make sure that the price was indeed $875. Had the lens in my cart, along with one other item.

I attempted to make the payment via PayPal and their system locked up. Making my way back to the cart, the price was still at $875, but I had to update the Zip Code again. Upon refresh, the price jumped up to $925. Apparently, their system barked when I tried to pay for a lens that they were in the middle of doing a price change on.

Suffice it to say, I don't have an 80-200 f/2.8 coming to me. It is days like these where I really miss the For Sale forum. :frown::mad:

8. That was nice of the camera store to call regarding a filter. I managed the largest camera/AV store in Minneapolis in the 70's. When a camera was advertised, say a Canon AE1 we generally had five whole dollars profit to get the customers in. If we sold the customer a 52mm UV filter for 9 dollars we made more profilt than we did on the camera.

9. Prices already up significantly in the UK. I research a D90 as back up body a month or so back and was going to buy yesterday but looked at the increase and just didn't feel like paying the extra. I might look SH for one. I guerss we are so used to electronics coming down in price!

10. J&R has it for $899 with free shipping.
    You can get 7% of that back if you use Live.com to reach J&R's site.
    Net cost will end up around $837.

11. I haven't gotten the 7% back yet for the 50 f/1.4G I purchased from J&R last month. Although I did consider them, despite their mediocre packing practices. Once bitten ...

12. Michael,

I had a little problem with Live Cashback and a purchase at J&R.
    When I didn't get a Live Search email right after my purchase of an iTouch for my daughter, I sent Live Search an email attaching the sales confirmation from J&R.
    Live Search then gave me credit for the purchase and 60 days letter the funds were available to me.
    Just keep after them. 7% off of $899 is pretty decent.

13. The response I got back from J&R was "we notify live.com about the 7% rebate once our 30 day return period has expired" (still a few more days to go to find out). No one else I know has had to deal with a "waiting" period from J&R before dealing with live.com's waiting period.

So, you will have to forgive me if I seem hesitant to want to order again from J&R based on receiving a 7% rebate. And given the lack of packaging in the 50 f/1.4G shipping box, I can't imagine what will happen to the 80-200 f/2.8 while it slides around in its shipping box, slamming from side to side. Ugh ...

14. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    That doesn't seem right. Based upon what I've read in the Microsoft Live stuff, the 60 day waiting period to get your money from Microsoft is to prevent returns. Seems like J&R may be wanting to extend it to 90 days. I did get notification from my cashback account within hours, everytime I'm made a purchase. They do make you wait an extra week and a day before you see the money in your paypal account though.

15. Yeah, I know. I am only 1 for 3 with live.com so far. Didn't get the rebates from J&R and B&H, but do have a pending rebate from an eBay purchase with 17th Street Photo (immediately placed in my live.com account). And J&R is admitting that I made the purchase correctly. It is just that they won't send the information to live.com. Maybe they do that with first time purchasers with J&R?

16. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Because their margin is gone.

17. kurbs

kurbs

Feb 11, 2008
    Watertown CT
    Nothing to do with what is in the product, it is the economy I'm assuming.
    Gas prices are scheduled to go back up again.

18. Yeah, I called a dealer in Alberta today to order a 500VR, and was informed they just got the new prices in from Nikon Canada and the 500VR was up $600! :mad:

I decided not to order until the dust settles -- just too much financial/currency turmoil right now. Besides there's none available anyway. Still, I'm a little bummed out.

I may yet be forced to take a closer look at a Canon system.

19. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    In manufacturing the cost of the final product is rarely based on materials alone. Search on youtube about "making lenses" and "making cameras" and you'll see that a lot of the work is in fact, manual work.

When that work is done in Japan, those laborers are payed in Japanese Yens. And you pay a lot more dollars now then a year ago for the same amount of yens - hence the raise. To be honest I'm surprised that Nikon has been able to postpone those increases for such a long time.

20. Just a note about Live.com cash back and B&H. I ordered two lens on Monday and I got the cash back in my Live.com account before the lens arrived today. So it seems to me that B&H is very quick with their communication back to Live.com.