1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Prices in Japan

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by azbill, Aug 8, 2009.

1. azbill

azbill

Feb 11, 2009
    Az
    Is there a big price difference in Japan for Nikon gear compared to US prices?
    With the 200-400VR going for $6200 or so US, I was wondering what the price is in Japan?

2. azbill

azbill

Feb 11, 2009
    Az
    No, but my cousin goes often.

3. Wouldn't it be better to buy the lens off ebay for a lower price than us retail? its not like you will have the warranty anyway, assuming you are from AZ like your location says.

4. Significantly higher, believe it or not.

5. Varmint

Varmint

Apr 21, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It's because Japan has so many middlemen for domestic consumer goods. I've never found anything cheaper in Japan than the US internet.

6. azbill

azbill

Feb 11, 2009
    Az
    chicagozer, varmint...thank you for you replies.
    I would've bet it was at least a little cheaper over there.

7. I hear Korea has some good deals.

8. Varmint

Varmint

Apr 21, 2009
    Boston, MA
    you might have your friend go to Akihabara in Tokyo and look for a used lens shop. Or try Map Camera in Shinjuku, also a used shop.

http://www.mapcamera.com/

9. pgdsm

pgdsm

Jan 30, 2009
    Edmonton ab
    The prices on bodies are similar if you barter with them. Lenses are more but occasianly you can bargan or say such and such store sells it for x amount and they will beat it. But remotes and bags seem to be cheaper.
    I just got back two weeks ago. Was there for a month.
    Actually I should have bought the d300 with 18-200. I found a place that had it on sale for 130000¥ taxes in. Oh and most of the time the price they show is tax inclusive.

10. azbill

azbill

Feb 11, 2009
    Az
    Varmint, pgdsm thanks for the useful info!

11. Masa

Masa

Feb 27, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I heard that most of the new lenses are much more expensive, but there're some good deals on the used lenses.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
  12. Not Sure about the Lenses but My brother was over there a few weeks ago and I had him check out the Price on the SB-900 Flash and it was almost Double what I can find it for in Canada.

13. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    You have to know where to shop, but in general lens prices are higher in Japan than in the U.S.

Map Camera as described above is great not only for used equipment, but it has some of the best prices for new equipment among "real" camera shops.

However, if you really want to find a good deal, you have to do a little searching. http://kakaku.com is similar to pricegrabber.com or shopping.com and the best price for a D3x there is currently about 670,000 yen. This is over 100,000 cheaper than the current price at Map Camera.

The problem with the 200-400 and other exotics is that they are often out of stock, so they aren't listed at kakaku.com. In fact, it is hard enough to find them at Map Camera, Yodobashi Camera or any of the other big camera stores, so you can't expect to find them for a bargain.

14. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
  15. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Which is actually a little lower than the MSRP (including tax as does the Amazon Japan price) at ¥1,029,000, but it's still price gouging because nobody with half a brain buys lenses at the MSRP in Japan.

16. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    My son is a forum member and lives outside of Tokyo.. I asked him to post a reply from real time.

17. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    If you hit the small used shops, Nikon house, Map, and other unknowns in Akihabara, shinjuku, and ginza you can find deals like 17mm tokina F4 for $120 like new. 300mm 2.8 Nikon for about $800. The deals are really only on the AI and AIS lenses. The new lenses are rediculous in Akihabara. You can expect to show up and spend an additional 15-20%. but the used market is great. I picked up a 180mm 2.8 for $130 and it works like new. The built in lens hood is a little beat up, but the photos comeing out are pristine.
    I cant afford the new lenses, but these AI/AIS lenses aer cheap. I can afford really nice older glass for pennies on the dollar.

Daniel

18. Question to those familiar with Japan:- If you buy in Japan in person say as a visiting tourist do you get sale tax refund when leaving the country?

Question to those familiar with Far East and Hong Kong in particular: - How does HK compare price wise with other main markets Japan/US/West Europe.

Thanks.

19. Varmint

Varmint

Apr 21, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't think so, but tax is only 3% if I remember anyway. You can buy duty free goods, but unfortunately it's only export models, and deals aren't usually good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.