Pride Cup Soccer Pictures

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by DeweyB, Oct 4, 2008.

1. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    The Light today made it difficult to get good pictures. This morning the field was half light and half shade. This afternoon it was hard to get the sun at your back. Finding a good background was difficult at best. The attached pictures were taken with my D300 and my 70 to 300VR. I used shutter priority at 1/1250, EV -.03 Iso ranged from 3200 to 400. Is there anything I could have done that would have made my pictures better?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    I like the fact you get low to the ground. This alone sets it apart from most people casually shooting sports and kids.

Your pictures look out of focus. Where you in S or C mode? C mode is good for tracking moving objects.

I am curious about not keeping the sun at your back.

3. Also, is VR on or off? I would turn it off, not needed and could actually slow you (the camera) down in fast action.

4. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Focus

I used C mode. In an earlier post someone suggested that I try to shoot with the sun at my back to get the best result. There was a professional photographer there shooting the afternoon game who told me the same thing. I think it has something to do with shadows.

5. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Pictures

VR was on.

6. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    That still doesn't explain why you had trouble keeping the sun at your back. I don't mean to sound flippant, but the sun just doesn't move around where you would have trouble keeping it at your back. With the 70-300, you need all the help you can get in staying in great light.

7. keeping it at your back is certainly what I strive for, but I've learned (here) that it's possible to shoot w/ it at their backs...you just need to adjust EV to compensate.

Bright sun, EV is usually -0.3 or so, and when it's at their backs, EV goes to +0.3. You will lose some highlights like uniforms, and maybe on the ball, but the all important face is nicely exposed...

8. DeweyB

DeweyB

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Light

League rules prevent parents from standing on the same side of the field as the players. This can make it difficult to always have the sun at your back.

9. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    That would explain it.

10. The only other comment I could make is to make sure that you try to keep your horizons level. You have a coupe that make it look like the kids are playing on the side of a hill but other than that, pretty nice shots. I too like the low angle shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.