1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Primes vs. Zooms---Stop loss??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ERAUGrad04, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    I was shooting this past weekend with my portable studio and shot about 75 shots with my 50mm 1.4 AF-D lens. The camera was is Manual Mode and set to 1/200 sec, f/4 and the commander was set to fire CH-A at 1/8 power(SB-800) and CH-B at 1/16 power(SB-600). The exposure was perfect with the 50mm 1.4 lens. I changed lenses to my 17-55 2.8 lens and retained all original settings. The images with the 17-55 were at least 2/3's of a stop underexposed. After bumping up the strobes to 1/4 & 1/8 respectivly, the exposure was back on track.

Is this common with primes and zooms? I have heard that with less elements in prime lenses, they are actually faster at the same aperture of a similar zoom. True of false?

Thanks for the input!
    Morgan

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    There is a term called T-stop which is the actual light transmition to the film/sensor. I dont think F/stops are always right on the money where as T-stops are..Iv wondered about if all F 2.8s are really 2.8 my self with my classic Nikkor 80-200 ED AIS having a 86 mm front filter:eek: , and the AF versions only having a 82mm. The other thing I noticed is that at minimum focus ranges(non IF) and using tubes you lose light.

Gregory

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.