Prince William Sound; Last trip of the season

Real Name
Dan
We just returned from our final tip of the season on Prince William Sound. We make six to eight week long trips every summer and each trip has a theme. The last trip of the season in recent years has become a combination nostalgia tour and blueberry harvest. We visit our favorite bays, watch the salmon fighting their way up creeks, watch the bears trying to keep the salmon from making it up the creeks, and pick blueberries(five gallons or so this year). In keeping with my recent commitment to shooting more landscapes, here are a few.

D810 and either 24-120 f4 or 70-200 f4

1) This is a small island near our anchorage in Eaglek Bay. It rained all night and we awoke to a misty morning. I liked mossy(actually lichen) trees against the mist shrouded BG.
p3003983057-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) An isolated portion of the same scene. Can you spot the eagle in a tree? I didn't notice him until I processed the image.
p3003983593-6.jpg

3) Shoestring Cove is a long, narrow little bay between steep mountains. There's a pretty good salmon stream at the head. This is the view from the head back towards the narrow entrance. Again a foggy morning following a rainy night.
p3003982912-6.jpg

4) Just a few minutes after image no.3 was taken the fog filled in. Seemed like a good time to take a shot of our boat.
p3003982905-6.jpg

5) This is a reversing tidal waterfall that drains/fills the lagoon visible above the fall. This shot with the tide below the level of the lagoon and the flow coming out. As the tide rises the flow will reverse and flow into the lagoon. The level of the lagoon always lags way behind the level in the bay. On large tide swings the fall varies from about a six foot fall out of the lagoon at dead low to a four foot fall into the lagoon during the rising tide. Paddling into the lagoon and back out requires either good timing or an extended stay. Or a whitewater kayak and the skills to paddle upstream in rapids. Every year I plan to set up and do a time-lapse sequence of a full tide cycle but every year fail to execute for one reason or another. There is a stream draining into the lagoon that supports a run of several thousand pink salmon. Note the eagle in top of the tree at left side of frame.
p3003983844-6.jpg

6) One of our favorite anchorages in a place called Hidden Bay so named presumably for its very narrow and difficult entrance. The fall is the termination of a salmon stream that originates at a lake about a half mile upstream and at least a couple hundred feet higher elevation. I'm always amazed when I see the journey that salmon make upstream. Prodigious berry picking here.
p3003983780-6.jpg

7) Closer shot of the falls. VR technology is awesome. Shot at 1/8sec ss handheld from the boat. Full disclosure I shot half a dozen frames and one turned out sharp.
p3003983875-6.jpg

8) Just a tree growing on a rock and interesting light as we were passing by. Used a CPL and under exposed for the effect.
p3003982919-6.jpg

Absolutely wonderful set of images Dan. Afraid I couldn't spot the eagle in your second pic, unless that's it towards the top of the tree at the far right. You've done a great job here and those two lenses have served very well indeed, especially with the 1/8 second handheld shot. What an amazing place that is.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Such a great set of images! #1 and 2 are simply stunning! Extremely well done! I like the simplicity of #3 and 4! And the image and story of the reversing falls was quite interesting and reminded me of the reversing falls in St. John, New Brunswick. Your falls are much prettier! Eagle in the center of the image (group of 3 trees, he's in the middle of the tree on the right) in #3?

Real Name
Dan
Absolutely wonderful set of images Dan. Afraid I couldn't spot the eagle in your second pic, unless that's it towards the top of the tree at the far right. You've done a great job here and those two lenses have served very well indeed, especially with the 1/8 second handheld shot. What an amazing place that is.
Thanks, Ron. It is an amazing place. That's why we spend so much time out there. Each bay has a different type of rock. Some are shale, some basalt, and some are granite of varying colors.
Many great images. Favs are 1,4, and 8. To me they have the greatest focus of interest.
Thanks for the comment, Allan.
Fascinating, informative narrative and exquisite use of fog and mist. Exceptional images throughout!

When you're picking blueberries, how do you keep an eye out for bears?
Glad you enjoyed them, Mike. I don't know whether it's due to improved skills or just statistical probabilities but after hundreds of shots in drizzly/misty conditions I've finally started getting a few keepers over the past couple of years. The bears are always a potential issue. We practice "bear aware" principles. This year is the first time that we had a couple of encounters with more than the rear end of a bear. Both times we were walking not picking.
Such a great set of images! #1 and 2 are simply stunning! Extremely well done! I like the simplicity of #3 and 4! And the image and story of the reversing falls was quite interesting and reminded me of the reversing falls in St. John, New Brunswick. Your falls are much prettier! Eagle in the center of the image (group of 3 trees, he's in the middle of the tree on the right) in #3?
Thanks, Karen. The first two shots were taken while my bride was preparing fresh blueberry pancakes for our breakfast. The fog changes continually. A few minutes after I took those shots the hillside in the BG cleared. It's interesting that fog/mist works both ways. In nos.1 and 2 it brings out the contours of the hills in the BG but at the same time gives separation between FG and BG. In nos.3 and 4 it simplifies/isolates the subject. I really need to do a time lapse of the reversing fall. It's quite fascinating. Ok here's the bird.

_8109852_DN1-2.jpg

These are so comforting and calming to look at. The damp coolness of the green is a treat for the eye and the soul. And the compositions and exposures are spot on!

Real Name
Dan
These are so comforting and calming to look at. The damp coolness of the green is a treat for the eye and the soul. And the compositions and exposures are spot on!
Glad you enjoyed them, Nick. I'm finally beginning to capture some landscape shots in these conditions that give a sense of what I recall feeling in the moment.
Truly stunning set of images. And thanks for location of the eagle!! :)
Thanks, Ken. Yeah I figured the eagle hunt would get people's attention :D
The first and last ones .. just wow. Breathtaking.
Thanks, Walter. I love finding opportunities like that last one.
Beautifully done Dan. So serene.
Appreciate the comment, Bill. We'll miss getting out there for sure. Don't get to see it again till May! :(

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
What a splendid set of pictures.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom