Print Paper Sources

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman3, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Just got an R1800 and would like to try some different papers. Are there any particular online merchants that y'all would like to recommend? I know there's the obvious ones ... BestBuy, OfficeDepot, Amazon, eBay ... others?

In particular, I'd love to find someplace to get one or two sheets of various styles/finishes to try. I hate spending a bunch of money on 25 or 50 sheets and then not like the output!!

Thanks in advance ...

Cheers!!

Ken

2. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I'll second atlex.com, good prices and quick delivery. They have a couple of Ilford sample packs, two sheets of several different papers. I bought one but haven't tried any of the sheets yet.

3. Another vote for atlex.com. Great prices on ink and paper.

4. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    B&H also has good pricing and a good selection of inkjet papers at reasonable prices but shipping may be expensive. All Inkjet Papers

A friend recommended Inkpress papers to me, they're decent and reasonably inexpensive. I like their Luster. B&H has an 8.5x11 14-sheet sample pack for $10.95, get at least two so you have a sheet or two to profile.

"The hard part about trying new papers is getting good profiles for them."

AMEN!! Especially if you don't have an Epson pro printer, profiles can be hard to find. I use Printfix Pro and do a quick profile for the HP just to see if I like a paper. If I do, then I'll do a better profile but it's a pain.

Anyway, pick up a few small packs and give them a try.

Have fun,

Bill

5. I agree with littl big man ragarding profiles. I also think keeping your monitir calibrated is important. That said, I have tested seveal papers but use only two brands regularly, Ilford and Inkpress, for my R1800. Both have profiles available online that work quite well with the 1800.

For Ilford I use and can recommend:
    Professional Smooth Gloss
    Professional Smooth Pearl

For Inkpress I use and can recommend:
    Luster
    Warm Tone 300 Picture Rag (matte)
    Print Plus Matte 80

You'll have to search online for suppliers. I get mine locally from Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA.

Inkpress has a sampler pack in 8 1/2 x 11 that might give you idea of their line.

6. Thanks for the info. I ordered some Ilford samples from atlex just a while ago.

Interesting tidbit ... I tried a local photo store and they somewhat smugly pointed out that their "professional" printing service was so much better than any ink jet that they didn't stock papers!!

Let's see, why should I go back? Higher prices, less service ....... ????

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!!

Cheers!!

Ken

7. I use "Micro Ceramic Luster" from Inkjetart.com along with their profiles in my R2400 and I'm very happy with the results. They sell a wide variety of sample packs.