Printed in the darkroom

Real Name
Chris
I've shown this image here before, but that was from scanned negatives. Last week I got to spend a few hours in the darkroom. This is one of my pictures from that session:

generatorroom.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nicely done Chris! For some reason this reminds me of some of Edward Weston's industrial pictures. Probably it's the immensity of the machinery.

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Fred, Patti, Rui and Ray!

The prints are four straight darkroom prints. I attempted (albeit not succeeding perfectly) to get the tones consistent from print to print by adjusting the filtration (1.5, 2, 2, 2.5) and time (13, 12, 11, 11), holding the aperture constant at f/11. I did no dodging nor burning. The pictures were shot inside Hoover dam last March. The film is Delta 3200, developed with HC110b for 14.5 minutes at 68F. The prints were made last Wednesday. The paper is Ilford Multigrade IV Pearl surface RC, developed in Sprint for 1.5 minutes, and fixed for 4 minutes in one tray, then 2 minutes in another, and washed similarly, for 5 minutes in a tray and 20 minutes in an archival print washer, and dried in a blotter book. I then spotted the prints with Marshall's spotting ink using a #00000 brush.

This morning, I composed the collage by hand and taped the prints together with 'photographer's tape'. Then carefully cut the prints with an Xacto knife. The pieces were fitted together onto a single mat board and attached to it with heat-seal adhesive sheet. The mat board was then cut with the Xacto knife to make a border, and there you have it.

It sounds more complicated than it actually was.

I have always been inspired by industrial photography done by masters of the mid-20th century, although Weston does not come to mind. I will look for his industrial stuff.

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Fredrik, Steve and Michael!

... industrial machines and photos always look nice and interesting. I guess you have seen Chaplins "Modern Times"?

Yes, definitely some influence there: German Expressionism combined with Film Noir with just a pinch of Steam Punk, defines, for me, the art of the prewar period. Modern Times had it, in fact most of Chaplin's work does, as well as movies like Lang's Metropolis, Menzies Things to Come, and of course Ridley Scott's Macintosh commercial. And still photos by Weston as mentioned by Ray, Imogen Cunningham, and especially Adams' industrial work all have a look that I aspire to.

Latest threads

Top Bottom