Printer communication problem

I continue to have trouble with this problem. By using Acrobat Reader DC I was able to print PDF files for a while, but now even that doesn't work intermittently. It won't print from MS Word either.

It starts making the sounds that it is about to print, then it stops. The printer app in System Preferences says the printer is "paused".

Last edited:
Just now it printed from MS Word on my iMac, but it won't print from my wife's iMac, which is newer and is running the "Mojave" version of OS X. I'm still on High Sierra.

Try message 6 above where I explained about the memory setting. If the computer sends a page that exceeds the memory the printer stops.
Thanks, Richard, I'll try to check that. But it seems an unlikely source of the problem since I'm only printing one or two pages from MS Word or a one-page pdf. And I never encountered this problem in the first two years with the printer.

I did install an after-market toner cartridge a few months ago.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks, Richard, I'll try to check that. But it seems an unlikely source of the problem since I'm only printing one or two pages from MS Word or a one-page pdf. And I never encountered this problem in the first two years with the printer.

I did install an after-market toner cartridge a few months ago.
I agree, it isn't very likely. But if the printer works with one computer and not another then it is almost certainly a setting. So worth checking all settings on the computers.

IP address? (CF previous messages?)
I still haven't tried the static IP address. I'm afraid my topic heading may be a bit misleading; the computers find the printer and it makes sounds like it is starting to print, then stalls. The printer app in System Prefs says that the printer is "paused".

Last edited:
I still haven't tied the static IP address. I'm afraid my topic heading may be a bit misleading; the computers find the printer and it makes sounds like it is starting to print, then stalls. The printer app in System Prefs says that the printer is "paused".
sounds like either memory or connection lost.

Considering that the printer fails intermittently on two computers, it sounds to me like a problem with the printer. Considering the relatively low price of a general-purpose black-and-white printer and my complete lack of patience with this type of issue, I would have already bought and installed a new printer.

I still haven't solved this problem.

As you recall, it was attached as a network device to my router with an ethernet cable. I have now replaced that connection with a USB printer cable directly to my wife's iMac. It seems to print with no problems from the computer to which it is attached. But when I try to print from my iMac I have problems as illustrated here:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Any further suggestions?

p.s. My iMac is still running High Sierra (10.13.6) whereas her iMac is on Mojave (10.14.2).

Last week I took the printer back to the shop where I bought it and they could not get it to misbehave. Worked perfectly every time. However, I think he was testing it on a Windows machine.

Last edited:
One thought,

It looks to me that you are NOT connecting to the printer directly BUT to your wife's printer that is being shared on the network by her laptop..
That will only work when your wife laptop is on.
If her laptop is off, you will not be able to print.

Also, reading the manuals I am not sure the printer can be both networked AND connected with USB.
Try connecting DIRECTLY to the printer through the printer's IP address.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642979

You can always use Airprint or ePrint to print to the printer without having to setup a permanent connection from the laptops.

Last edited:
One thought,

It looks to me that you are NOT connecting to the printer directly BUT to your wife's printer that is being shared on the network by her laptop..
That will only work when your wife laptop is on.
If her laptop is off, you will not be able to print.

Also, reading the manuals I am not sure the printer can be both networked AND connected with USB.
Try connecting DIRECTLY to the printer through the printer's IP address.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642979

You can always use Airprint or ePrint to print to the printer without having to setup a permanent connection from the laptops.
These are not laptops, but 27-inch iMacs, not that that matters. The computers are never turned off, though they do occasionally go into sleep mode.

Sorry, I removed the connection to the router when I switched to the USB cable.

Sharing the printer over the network should work fine, from my previous experience with other iMacs and printers.

The printer doesn't have an IP address since it's connected to my wife's computer now.

These are not laptops, but 27-inch iMacs, not that that matters. The computers are never turned off, though they do occasionally go into sleep mode.

Sorry, I removed the connection to the router when I switched to the USB cable.

Sharing the printer over the network should work fine, from my previous experience with other iMacs and printers.

The printer doesn't have an IP address since it's connected to my wife's computer now.
Reading from HP's forums and manual, it will be more difficult to assist you with that set up as HP does not support it and pushes the blame back on the OS vendor, in this case Apple.
HP claims it is not a feature of their drivers.
It is not surprising the shop could not replicate your problems.

If you want to ensure that the network printer works as it is intended to, I would recommend a fixed IP address that all desktops connect to or one of the set up options HP recommends in their set up guide.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom