Printer communication problem

This is exactly what I was thinking, that the system is confused by having the printer both connected to a couple of computers with a wired setup and then also having it supposedly wirelessly connected to another. I don't think that's how it is supposed to work, it should probably be "all or nothing." That, and also it probably would be helpful if all the computers and the printer were on the same wavelength as far as versions of the OS and iOS as well......

The ePrint thing is somewhat different than the wireless capability offered by HP for iOS devices and for computers..... If I recall correctly that is called AirPrint and it is what I use with my computers and my printer. No need to plug anything into an ethernet cable; everything is done wirelessly through my WiFi connection. It is easy to set up and so far for me at least, it has worked flawlessly over the two or so years that I've been using it, even when changing/replacing/updating computers. Works with my computers and with my iOS devices (iPhones and iPads).
Eprint and AirPrint are different ways to print. Eprint is an HP feature which relies on the printer being registered through HP Connect. The user assigns an email address and can share that email address with anyone. There are different levels of security but in essence to print a document a user sends the document as an attachment to the address. HP then forwards the document to the printer.
That is different from AirPrint which is a direct connection to the printer.
google cloud print is also an option to share printers.
There are lots of ways to share a printer, USB network sharing is just possibly the least efficient one to chose unfortunately.

That is not really the case. For the first two years or more, the printer was connected only to the router and was accessed by all computers as a network printer. That worked perfectly until a few months ago.

For the past week, the ethernet connection to the router has been removed and the printer has been directly connected only to one iMac with a USB cable. That is the way my old LaserJet 4 was connected and allowed printing from all computers in the house for about ten years.
I use to do this a long time ago with dumb inkjet printers too.
But since then the security features of the many OS and drivers have seriously improved and some sharing protocols, as well as network protocols are no longer included in your standard OS, for instance telnet is no longer installed in windows 10 out of the box, same I think for netbui, IPX/SPX (just a few examples).

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
There is a good reason why your printer has a network connection. It is so it can be shared on a network, with each computer independent of the others. This is the best way of working. On the other hand for a single computer with a printer, using the USB cable is a very simple reliable solution. What you are attempting (sharing the USB attached printer) should be possible if you set everything up right but is a botched method which is intrisically less reliable.

You originally had it working in the normal way, and the reason it stopped may well have been an IP conflict because you had not used a fixed IP address, you were using DHCP to allocate the printer address. It really isn't hard to put right. Just choose an IP address for it which is addessable on your network, is not in the DHCP range your router is using to provide addresses, and is not already in use by another device with a fixed IP address. Then tell the printer its permanent address. Then tell each computer the address of the printer.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
O.K. I've disconnected the USB cable and gone back to the ethernet cable plugged to the router. I'm now trying to figure out how to assign a static IP address.
On some HP printers you do it using the little screen on the printer. Go through its menus.
Do you know the address you want to give it? i.e. have you checked the router's network addressing and DHCP settings?

After reconnecting the printer to my router I removed the old USB connected computer from my computer and added it again. It now shows that it is connected via AirPrint. That is NOT what I want but I can't find any way to turn off AirPrint.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 12.51.01 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You mean the address of my computer? It's 10.0.0.101. The router's address is 10.0.0.1
No. You need to go your computer, open the browser and go to the address of the router, so type 10.0.0.1 into the browser address bar. The login to the router using your username and password. If you have never done this, there will be a default username and password. Find the make and model number of the router.
Once logged in, there will be somewhere the DHCP settings are. Have a hunt.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom