Printer communication problem

The router is claiming ownership of all ip addresses in that range to use as it needs.
You need to exclude some addresses so that you can manually fix them.
The router will not be able to reallocate them dynamically.
If you do not do this you run the risk of conflicts.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
That's exactly right. By changing the start (bottom) address to 21 instead of 2, it means we can use the addresses 2 through 20 for fixed IP addresses. So you have plenty of address space for them now. You can still have a huge number of other devices, which can be automtically assigned addresses from 21 all the way up to 253.

If you didn't make this change to the DHCP range in the router, everything might work for a time, but sooner or later the router would assign the address 11, which your printer now has, to another device as well, perhaps a visiting smartphone for example, with disastrous results.

The router is claiming ownership of all ip addresses in that range to use as it needs.
You need to exclude some addresses so that you can manually fix them.
The router will not be able to reallocate them dynamically.
If you do not do this you run the risk of conflicts.
That's exactly right. By changing the start (bottom) address to 21 instead of 2, it means we can use the addresses 2 through 20 for fixed IP addresses. So you have plenty of address space for them now. You can still have a huge number of other devices, which can be automtically assigned addresses from 21 all the way up to 253.

If you didn't make this change to the DHCP range in the router, everything might work for a time, but sooner or later the router would assign the address 11, which your printer now has, to another device as well, perhaps a visiting smartphone for example, with disastrous results.
Gotcha.

We had a small celebration this evening with a nice bottle of Chianti Classico along with chicken cacciatore inspired by Mike's post a couple of days ago. Our daughter was passing through and joined us.

Perhaps I celebrated too soon.

My wife tried printing something from her computer for the first time since I made the changes, and it failed just as before. It made a sound as though it was going to print, but nothing happened. The printer status windows said it was printing.

HOWEVER, after several minutes I went into "Printers & Scanners" in System Preferences and checked the box for "Share this printer on the network" and the job immediately printed.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 5.02.27 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I didn't think this would be necessary for a printer connected to the router with a static IP address.

1. Which machine is that screenshot from - hers or yours?
2. Did you configure both computers to have the printer on the IP address?
3. Are you now printing OK from both computers?
1) It is from mine, but hers now looks the same.

2) Yes. She was printing to 10.0.0.11 as I instructed her.

3) I haven't tried another print job. We are very parsimonious about printer supplies and paper.

Often when I just want to make sure my printer is doing what is needed I'll look through my email and find a short one that doesn't have a lot of text or graphics and print that out when I'm trying to ascertain that everything is working correctly. Or if it's a problem with graphics, I'll find an email which includes colorful text or a photo, but that is not usually the situation.

Printer ink is considered the "loss leader" -- the consumer buys a new printer and it is relatively inexpensive but then when it comes time to replace ink cartridges in ink-jet machines or laser/toner cartridges in machines which use those, yeah, it can be an unpleasant surprise. My practice is to print what I need to print and that's it, but I don't print everything. I don't stint on something I really need and want to print, especially if I'm trying to figure out if there is something wrong with the printer, but I don't go overboard with hitting the "print" button, either. A friend actually used to print absolutely everything, each and every email and any other documents he received online. Now THAT was excessive and I'll bet he paid a pretty penny for cartridge replacements!

This problem is still not completely solved. When my wife tries to print from her computer we get the sound from the printer as if it's going to print, but nothing happens. When she opens the print queue window, it appears the printer is paused. If it is restarted, the print job completes, but on the next try the same thing happens.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If we go through the checklist both PCs are set to fixed IP adresses?
It sounds as if her computer is trying to write to that IP address, since the printer responds. But the computer may be set up for the wrong printer type, or with a printer setting that causes a problem, such as defaulting to the wrong paper size. Carefully compare all the printer settings on your computer with all the printer settings on hers.

Also check that the document she is printing is to the correct size paper. For example she might be printing an A4 document when you have a US paper size configured in the printer.

If all that fails, try printing her document using your computer. That will show if it is the document or her computer.

My betting is on the paper size. If the printer doesn't have the paper requested loaded, it will pause. When you set it going, it will helpfully print regardless.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom