Printer purchase advice, please

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Pa, Aug 7, 2007.

1. I've about had it with my old (relatively) Epson Stylus 785EPX.

I would like a photo printer that I can rely on for occasional use. The 785 quality was o.k., but if I don't use it for a few weeks it clogs up. I bought a cleaning kit from fixyourownprinter.com, but even that won't clear it now.

I don't anticipate printing anything larger than 8 x 10, but I would like good quality prints and no jet clogging with occasional use.

Does anyone have experience with the Epson Stylus Photo R800? Other suggestions?

Thanks for responding.

2. I've been using the 800 since April, 2004. I love the prints this thing produces, but wouldn't recommend it if clogging is a critical parameter for you. I get a clogged nozzle(s) when the printer is unused for more than a week or two, particularly after a period of heavy use. Sometimes these clogs can be cleared by simply printing a "Nozzle Check" page or two . . . sometimes the nozzle cleaning utility is required (which uses ink). Let me temper this by saying that I live in the desert, so your experience could well be different than mine.

From my point of view, the clogging issue is a relatively minor annoyance, not a deal breaker. In fact, I've been seriously considering the purchase of an R1800, which uses the same print engine so, I presume, would have similar clogging behavior. Hope you find this data useful.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    My R1800 has sat for months, lately, and clogging hasn't been an issue. It is humid here, no A/C in the house, so it's warm, too!!

4. Thanks for your replies. I was not really considering the 1800 as I don't see myself printing larger than 8 x 10, but if it is more immune to jet clogging it might be worth it. I would guess my situation is probably closer to that of Baywing than yours, Dennis, but I do use A/C. Also, our house can get pretty dry in the winter. I read where one enthusiast places his printer in a large ziploc bag when he won't be using it for awhile, and that solves the ink-drying problem!

And I see that Epson is offering a $75 rebate on the R1800 with free shipping now.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have the 1800 but the 800 uses the same inks and print head, so should be the same. My Dad lives in AZ, got an 800 last year and prints rarely. I've not heard a peep from him about clogging (if it did, I'd hear about it in a timely manner!)

6. Thanks, Baywing. With the rebate on the 1800, the price difference between the two is small. But I guess the ink costs may be higher with the 1800.

7. Now why didn't I think of that? :redface: Thanks for the Tip Jim - I'll give that one a try.