PrintEXIF Script for Photoshop CS

After trying most of the scripts that have been posted on the DPReview Nikon Forum to extract EXIF information and print it in a frame at the bottom of a web-sized photo, and learning a little about JavaScript along the way, I have constructed a script (based largely on Fescar's script) that works with D2X, D2H, D1X and D100 files. It may work with D70 files but I don't have a D70 and can't test that functionality. It works on a PC but I haven't tested it with a Mac. But it's written in JavaScript so it should work on both platforms.

The script requires the user to save the EXIF information in the IPTC caption field using Nikon Transfer (an option in Nikon Transfer). The script can be copied from: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIFv1.4.txt and saved as PrintEXIFv1.4.js using Notepad (be sure to keep the .js suffix) using the Unicode encoding option. The script can then be copied to the Programs>Adobe>Photoshop CS>Presets>Scripts folder (on a PC). In Photoshop the script should then appear as a selection in the Files>Scripts menu when Photoshop is opened.

The user can (and should) modify the script to show the correct name in the copyright field, and can modify the script for different frame colors and text colors. A dialog box appears when the script is loaded allowing the editing of lens information and the appending of TC information (that does not appear in EXIF).

The result of using the script:
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I welcome your feedback and suggestions for improvements, bug fixes, and additional features.

Joe

PGB

Thanks Joe,

Hopefully yours will work for me. For some reason I cannot get any of the others to output the proper information. I'll look forward to trying it out.

Thanks!

G

Gordon Large

Thanks, Joe. I'll give this a try as soon as I walk my way through it so I understand it. But I'll warn you - be prepared for some goofy errors on my first attempts!

BTW, great shot!

Gordon

Patrick Bramlett said:
For some reason I cannot get any of the others to output the proper information.

I couldn't either Patrick so I tried carving my own. This one relies on the EXIF data being written to the IPTC caption using Nikon Transfer. That preserves EXIF through the editing steps.

Joe

Gordon Large said:
Thanks, Joe. I'll give this a try as soon as I walk my way through it so I understand it. But I'll warn you - be prepared for some goofy errors on my first attempts!
There are no goofy errors. Just goofy programmers.

BTW, great shot!

Thanks Gordon. Those little critters are hard to pose.

DiverX said:
Hey thanks Joe, I think I will try this over the weekend one evening.

ps: wonderful shot!!! :shock: :shock:

Thanks George. Let me know whether it works for you.

Joe

joecolson said:
This one relies on the EXIF data being written to the IPTC caption using Nikon Transfer. That preserves EXIF through the editing steps. Joe

Joe,

Quick question for you!

I always used Windows XP to transfer the images to my computer. Recently I picked up "The Downloader" from Breeze systems to do this because it had some cool features.

Anyway, the question is, is "Nikon Transfer" a part of Nikon View? I have never used Nikon Transfer, maybe it is still in the Box! :?

DiverX said:
Anyway, the question is, is "Nikon Transfer" a part of Nikon View? I have never used Nikon Transfer, maybe it is still in the Box! :?

Nikon Transfer is bundled with Nikon View. You can set it to AutoPlay when a CF card is detected by your PC/Mac (that's what I do). Or you can call it from the Tools>Launch Nikon Transfer menu selection. Be sure to select the option in Nikon View to save the EXIF data in the IPTC caption field.

Works with D70 too!

Hi Joe,

Thanks for putting this together and for sharing it with the gang here: much appreciated! 8) Just so you know, your script also works perfectly with a D70. :wink:

Half-Dome.jpg

Worked Joe!!

Only thing is the font, maybe I don't have that font loaded. Secondly the date did not appear, maybe I have the camera set up for the wrong date format. Lastly no metering mode showing on mine. I have it set for MAtrix but the EXIF data in Nikon View has it showing as Multi-Pattern. Other than those minor things, way to go and thanks! :)

crsp_D2X0854.jpg

Oh, this was shot on March 17th, St Pattys Day. I did use flash but I guess that does not show.

Another cool idea would be one more line (or 2) for Species and location. That could be optional if you fill it in. Just a thought while you are on a roll here! :D

joecolson said:
After trying most of the scripts that have been posted on the DPReview Nikon Forum to extract EXIF information and print it in a frame at the bottom of a web-sized photo, and learning a little about JavaScript along the way, I have constructed a script (based largely on Fescar's script) that works with D2X, D2H, D1X and D100 files. It may work with D70 files but I don't have a D70 and can't test that functionality. It works on a PC but I haven't tested it with a Mac. But it's written in JavaScript so it should work on both platforms.

The script requires the user to save the EXIF information in the IPTC caption field using Nikon Transfer (an option in Nikon Transfer). The script can be copied from: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIFv1.4.txt and saved as PrintEXIFv1.4.js using Notepad (be sure to keep the .js suffix) using the Unicode encoding option. The script can then be copied to the Programs>Adobe>Photoshop CS>Presets>Scripts folder (on a PC). In Photoshop the script should then appear as a selection in the Files>Scripts menu when Photoshop is opened.

The user can (and should) modify the script to show the correct name in the copyright field, and can modify the script for different frame colors and text colors. A dialog box appears when the script is loaded allowing the editing of lens information and the appending of TC information (that does not appear in EXIF).

The result of using the script:

I welcome your feedback and suggestions for improvements, bug fixes, and additional features.

Joe or anyone,

I have only used a script once before and can't remember how to. Can you please explain to me step by step what do I do after I copy the the whole script to Notepad.

Easy steps to understand please :)

Thank you,

Melissa,

Joe wrote: "The script can be copied from: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIFv1.4.txt and saved as PrintEXIFv1.4.js using Notepad (be sure to keep the .js suffix) using the Unicode encoding option. The script can then be copied to the Programs>Adobe>Photoshop CS>Presets>Scripts folder (on a PC). In Photoshop the script should then appear as a selection in the Files>Scripts menu when Photoshop is opened."

Do just that and it will work just fine: save the file as PrintEXIFv1.4.js, copy it to the PS/CS script location and find it under the File | Scripts menu... :lol:

Re: Script

Need more help please :!: ...

I sent a message to Philippe and while I am waiting for a reply, I wanted to ask more questions about this script.

I brought the script into Notepad and change the name from Joe Colson to Catz. Then I saved it as the file name Philippe told me too under 'Scripts' in PS.

So I brought a picture up and ran the script. When it was finished running, all I could see was very small print on the bottom left and all it said was Catz and the lens I used because when the 'lens' pop up came up, I put the lens I used.

No other info was listed under the picture.

Also Joe said "The script requires the user to save the EXIF information in the IPTC caption field using Nikon Transfer (an option in Nikon Transfer). "

How do I do this. Is this something that is done when I transfer the pictures to Capture before pulling the picture up into PS and run the script?

Now I want to know what I did or didn't do to make this script work?

Sorry to be persistent but I really want to be able to use this script.

Latest threads

Top Bottom