PrintEXIF Script for Photoshop CS2 Uploaded

Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
301
Location
Cary, NC
I've finished testing PrintEXIF Version 1.7 for Photoshop CS2 and uploaded it to the Web: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIF/

For the uninitiated, PrintEXIF is a JavaScript script that "prints" shooting information (EXIF) in the bottom border of a framed photo, targeted either for the Web or print.

With Photoshop CS2, Adobe introduced new features to, and changed exisiting features of, its scripting environment, requiring a major revision of PrintEXIF. I also redesigned the PrintEXIF website to be easier to navigate and look more professional.

PrintEXIF is freeware, and the origins of this type of script are in the DPR Nikon forums. Many have contributed ideas and portions of scripts that are incorporated into PrintEXIF and I take no credit for the original idea nor do I derive any monetary reward from being the current "custodian". My intent is merely to provide a useful tool for fellow photographers that can be freely used and easily modified.

Note that PrintEXIF Version 1.7 works only with Photoshop CS2. If you're using Photoshop CS, then Version 1.6 is still the version you should use. I will likely continue to maintain Version 1.6 but won't be making major modifications to it. Both versions are available from the PrintEXIF website: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIF/

I welcome your ideas, comments and questions. And if you detect any bugs or have problems running the script, contact me.
Finally, here's a recent photo that was "framed" with PrintEXIF:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
W

William

Guest
Thank you, JC

I've already been able to use the PrintEXIF this afternoon on some images which were waiting for this capability. Excellent instructions, and no problems at all with installation or applications.
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
Awesome, Joe! (2 sample pics)

Thanks so much for this! I didn't ever think I could do it, but this was so easy! Now, if I could get some help with the font styles and the sig color, I'd be all set! This is som uch better than copy/pasting the shooting data under the pic! You're the greatest Joe!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 8886
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
301
Location
Cary, NC
Paul, Paul O., Steve & Crystal,

I had forgotten about this thread until I saw your recent posts. I'm beginning to work on the next version of PrintEXIF and hope to have something to post later this month (September). I'm happy that you're using (or trying to use) the script and want to make it as easy as possible to use. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Joe
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
joecolson said:
Paul, Paul O., Steve & Crystal,

I had forgotten about this thread until I saw your recent posts. I'm beginning to work on the next version of PrintEXIF and hope to have something to post later this month (September). I'm happy that you're using (or trying to use) the script and want to make it as easy as possible to use. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Joe
Hey Joe, thanks again, this is great. Say, how do I change the bg frame color to the darker grey you use? I tried but failed.
Also, I tried to change my sig font to Budhand, but that didn't work either.
 
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,416
Location
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Hi Steve

You have to use postscript fonts. At the top of the script you will find a customize area. If I recall correctly Joe uses a variable called Gray128 for the background. Change the value from 128 to 64 or whatever. Resave the script.
 
Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
241
Location
New Jersey, USA
Joe,

One suggestion might be to provide a choice as to what information might be included. For example, sometimes you might want to only include a slick copyright legend on the photo. Other times you might want to include all data. I was able to get part of the way there by commenting out the parsing function in your code, but I'm sure you could provide a much more elegant solution.

Thanks again for this very creative tool!

Regards,
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
hillrg said:
Hi Steve

You have to use postscript fonts. At the top of the script you will find a customize area. If I recall correctly Joe uses a variable called Gray128 for the background. Change the value from 128 to 64 or whatever. Resave the script.
That didn't work, Rory. I was able to make the changes to the sig color, but not the frame color, or the sig font style either. It errors out when I change gray128 to gray64.
 
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,416
Location
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Steve S said:
That didn't work, Rory. I was able to make the changes to the sig color, but not the frame color, or the sig font style either. It errors out when I change gray128 to gray64.
Here is how I changed to customization area. In my case, I changed the frame area to 65. You do not need to rename the variables as I have done:

var black = new SolidColor()
black.rgb.red = black.rgb.green = black.rgb.blue = 0
var white = new SolidColor()
white.rgb.red = white.rgb.green = white.rgb.blue = 255
var gray25 = new SolidColor()
gray25.rgb.red = gray25.rgb.green = gray25.rgb.blue = 25
var gray50 = new SolidColor()
gray50.rgb.red = gray50.rgb.green = gray50.rgb.blue = 50
var gray65 = new SolidColor()
gray65.rgb.red = gray65.rgb.green = gray65.rgb.blue = 65
var gray135 = new SolidColor()
gray135.rgb.red = gray135.rgb.green = gray135.rgb.blue = 135
var yellow = new SolidColor()
yellow.rgb.red = 255, yellow.rgb.green = 255, yellow.rgb.blue = 0
var red = new SolidColor()
red.rgb.red = 255, red.rgb.green = 0, red.rgb.blue = 0

// Border frame color
FRAME_COLOR = gray65

// Copyright text color
TEXT_COPYRIGHT_COLOR = gray135

// EXIF info text color
TEXT_INFO_COLOR = gray135

// Title text color
TEXT_TITLE_COLOR = gray135
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
301
Location
Cary, NC
Steve,

Rory got it right. You first define the color, "gray128" for example, with its RGB components:

var gray128 = new SolidColor()
gray128.rgb.red = gray128.rgb.green = gray128.rgb.blue = 128

In this case each of the RGB components has the same value, 128. If you want to define a color with different values for one or more of the RGB components, you would use this type of definition:

var red = new SolidColor()
red.rgb.red = 255, red.rgb.green = 0, red.rgb.blue = 0

Then when you want to use the color you have defined, you call it by the name you're given it:

TEXT_TITLE_COLOR = gray128

Be sure to save your editied script as a plain text file with a name you'll recognize, i.e. PrintEXIF_steve, with the Unicode option selected in the "Save As" dialog box (if you use "Save As").

That's all there is to it. Let me know if you have any trouble using the script.

Joe
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
301
Location
Cary, NC
czechmark said:
Joe,

One suggestion might be to provide a choice as to what information might be included. For example, sometimes you might want to only include a slick copyright legend on the photo. Other times you might want to include all data. I was able to get part of the way there by commenting out the parsing function in your code, but I'm sure you could provide a much more elegant solution.
Paul O.,

Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Most of my solutions are less than elegant.

Joe
 
Joined
May 8, 2005
Messages
4,638
Location
Orlando, FL
Great script. One question though. Why do I get "undetermined lens" even though the lens (e.g. 70-200VR) is listed in the script and shows in the EXIF according to Bridge?
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom