PrintEXIF Script for Photoshop CS2 Uploaded

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by joecolson, May 14, 2005.

1. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I've finished testing PrintEXIF Version 1.7 for Photoshop CS2 and uploaded it to the Web: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIF/

For the uninitiated, PrintEXIF is a JavaScript script that "prints" shooting information (EXIF) in the bottom border of a framed photo, targeted either for the Web or print.

With Photoshop CS2, Adobe introduced new features to, and changed exisiting features of, its scripting environment, requiring a major revision of PrintEXIF. I also redesigned the PrintEXIF website to be easier to navigate and look more professional.

PrintEXIF is freeware, and the origins of this type of script are in the DPR Nikon forums. Many have contributed ideas and portions of scripts that are incorporated into PrintEXIF and I take no credit for the original idea nor do I derive any monetary reward from being the current "custodian". My intent is merely to provide a useful tool for fellow photographers that can be freely used and easily modified.

Note that PrintEXIF Version 1.7 works only with Photoshop CS2. If you're using Photoshop CS, then Version 1.6 is still the version you should use. I will likely continue to maintain Version 1.6 but won't be making major modifications to it. Both versions are available from the PrintEXIF website: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIF/

I welcome your ideas, comments and questions. And if you detect any bugs or have problems running the script, contact me.
    Finally, here's a recent photo that was "framed" with PrintEXIF:

original.

2. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your nice work. Works perfectly.

3. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Thanks Brian, glad you like it. And I'm happy to be able to give something back to the community.

4. William

William Guest

Thank you, JC

I've already been able to use the PrintEXIF this afternoon on some images which were waiting for this capability. Excellent instructions, and no problems at all with installation or applications.

5. Thank you again Joe. I almost missed this post. So happy that I found it. Can't wait to install it.

Again, thank you so very much,

6. Joe,

Thanks very much for contributing this tool. It's really awsome, particularly the integration with Nikon Transfer.

Regards,

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Awesome, Joe! (2 sample pics)

Thanks so much for this! I didn't ever think I could do it, but this was so easy! Now, if I could get some help with the font styles and the sig color, I'd be all set! This is som uch better than copy/pasting the shooting data under the pic! You're the greatest Joe!
    original.
    original.

9. Joe,

Thank you for posting this information. I am definitely going to download it this time. :smile:

10. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Paul, Paul O., Steve & Crystal,

I had forgotten about this thread until I saw your recent posts. I'm beginning to work on the next version of PrintEXIF and hope to have something to post later this month (September). I'm happy that you're using (or trying to use) the script and want to make it as easy as possible to use. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Joe

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hey Joe, thanks again, this is great. Say, how do I change the bg frame color to the darker grey you use? I tried but failed.
    Also, I tried to change my sig font to Budhand, but that didn't work either.

12. Hi Steve

You have to use postscript fonts. At the top of the script you will find a customize area. If I recall correctly Joe uses a variable called Gray128 for the background. Change the value from 128 to 64 or whatever. Resave the script.

13. Joe,

One suggestion might be to provide a choice as to what information might be included. For example, sometimes you might want to only include a slick copyright legend on the photo. Other times you might want to include all data. I was able to get part of the way there by commenting out the parsing function in your code, but I'm sure you could provide a much more elegant solution.

Thanks again for this very creative tool!

Regards,

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That didn't work, Rory. I was able to make the changes to the sig color, but not the frame color, or the sig font style either. It errors out when I change gray128 to gray64.

15. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe for providing this.

16. Here is how I changed to customization area. In my case, I changed the frame area to 65. You do not need to rename the variables as I have done:

var black = new SolidColor()
    black.rgb.red = black.rgb.green = black.rgb.blue = 0
    var white = new SolidColor()
    white.rgb.red = white.rgb.green = white.rgb.blue = 255
    var gray25 = new SolidColor()
    gray25.rgb.red = gray25.rgb.green = gray25.rgb.blue = 25
    var gray50 = new SolidColor()
    gray50.rgb.red = gray50.rgb.green = gray50.rgb.blue = 50
    var gray65 = new SolidColor()
    gray65.rgb.red = gray65.rgb.green = gray65.rgb.blue = 65
    var gray135 = new SolidColor()
    gray135.rgb.red = gray135.rgb.green = gray135.rgb.blue = 135
    var yellow = new SolidColor()
    yellow.rgb.red = 255, yellow.rgb.green = 255, yellow.rgb.blue = 0
    var red = new SolidColor()
    red.rgb.red = 255, red.rgb.green = 0, red.rgb.blue = 0

// Border frame color
    FRAME_COLOR = gray65

// Copyright text color
    TEXT_COPYRIGHT_COLOR = gray135

// EXIF info text color
    TEXT_INFO_COLOR = gray135

// Title text color
    TEXT_TITLE_COLOR = gray135

17. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Steve,

Rory got it right. You first define the color, "gray128" for example, with its RGB components:

var gray128 = new SolidColor()
    gray128.rgb.red = gray128.rgb.green = gray128.rgb.blue = 128

In this case each of the RGB components has the same value, 128. If you want to define a color with different values for one or more of the RGB components, you would use this type of definition:

var red = new SolidColor()
    red.rgb.red = 255, red.rgb.green = 0, red.rgb.blue = 0

Then when you want to use the color you have defined, you call it by the name you're given it:

TEXT_TITLE_COLOR = gray128

Be sure to save your editied script as a plain text file with a name you'll recognize, i.e. PrintEXIF_steve, with the Unicode option selected in the "Save As" dialog box (if you use "Save As").

That's all there is to it. Let me know if you have any trouble using the script.

Joe

18. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Paul O.,

Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Most of my solutions are less than elegant.

Joe

19. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Great script. One question though. Why do I get "undetermined lens" even though the lens (e.g. 70-200VR) is listed in the script and shows in the EXIF according to Bridge?

20. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Whoops - posted to the old thread by mistake - and I found the answer anyway :redface: