PrintEXIF Script Version 1.7beta for CS2

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by joecolson, May 7, 2005.

1. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    For those of you who use the PrintEXIF script and have upgraded to Photoshop CS2, I have uploaded a beta version of PrintEXIF that works with CS2. While the beta version isn't fully tested, it has been tested and used by several Nikon shooters with CS2 and provides the same functionality as the prior version 1.6. You can download the new version from here: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIF/. Just click on the link for the v1.7beta. Let me know if you run into any problems, discover any bugs or have any ideas for improvement. I will complete the testing in the next few days and post the final version 1.7 at that time. Note that this new version is not intended for use with Photoshop CS, just with CS2. If you are using Photoshop CS, continue to use version 1.6 which is also available from the link above. An example of the use of the script:

[​IMG]

2. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Thanks Joe, any idea what or why they changed this from CS to CS2?

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah, what changed? Cause my little exif reader works with either (but it's nowhere near as complex nor as complete as yours.).

4. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi Joe,

Problems for me, I downloaded your 1.7 beta and put it in Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Presets\Scripts folder, when trying to run it in CS2, nothing happened. Did I miss something out?

TIA.

5. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Brian,

After you copy the PrintEXIF script to the Adobe/Photoshop CS2/Presets/Scripts folder, you have to re-open Photoshop for it to "see" the script. Then you can load the script from the Scripts selection in the File menu. Make sure you have opened an image you want to frame. And if it's for the Web, do your resizing before using PrintEXIF.

Joe

6. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Chris,

For JavaScript scripting, CS2 introduced an automated user interface creation tool as well as changed the way buttons in the user interface work. Version 1.6 of my PrintEXIF script didn't work in CS2 so I had to re-write some of the code.

Joe

7. Hi Joe,

I gave it a try to and agree with Chris, not all of the information showed up in mine like it did in yours, no aperture, no color mode no shutterspeed etc...and also the word uncalibrated which I don't know what that means as far as being in the info.

I will keep my eyes open for the final version and I appreciate what you are doing with this.

8. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response. Still a no go for me, I can see "PrintEXIFv1.7beta" under File > Scripts, just that when I click on it after opening a picture resized for the web, it just sits there, nothing happens. Maybe something is not right with my installation of CS2, I will try again tomorrow from a fresh install. The PrintEXIF1.6 works flawlessly with CS. I thought maybe I missed turning on some features in CS2.

Thanks again for the great script. I am pretty sure it's my fault somewhere.

Brian

9. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    Joe,

Did you ever give any thought to the idea of just being able to put a copyright notice with your script?

Some of the sites like Pbase will show the exif information if you turn on this feature, having it on the image is redundant. I often just put a copyright notice, it would be nice to be able to do it with your script.

Thanks,

10. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Mike/Miguel,

In fact, I have that idea from your e-mail still sitting in my "to do" list. It's a good idea and I intend to add that feature (or just create a short script) in the next version or in the release of version 1.7. Thanks for reminding me.

Joe

11. Customization question

Joe,

Is there a list of how font names are designated in javascripts? I've googled several times but can't find anything that will give me a hint how to modify a font name like "Lucida Calligraphy". Single word fonts seem to work OK. Any ideas?

TIA

12. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Joe, finally got it to go. Don't know why, when I removed your remarks (those lines with //) in the beginning, it's all good. I knew it was me. :oops:

Thanks again for the script.

Brian

13. Re: Customization question

Try taking out the space. I just used trial and error to get the fonts I wanted to work - for some it was as simple as that, for others I just gave up and made another choice.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Re: Customization question

Chad,

Copy the following script to Notepad, save it as a ".js" file (for Photoshop CS or CS2) with the Unicode encoding option selected in the "Save As.." dialog box, open Photoshop and run the script. If your list of fonts is long you will have to change the index "var i = 0" to a "var i = 50" or "var i = 100" to see all of your scripts on the screen. The list of font names that appear will be the PostScript names for the fonts on your system.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Optional code to find the names of fonts on the system
    var s = "";
    for (var i = 0; i < app.fonts.length; i++) {
    s += app.fonts.postScriptName + '\n';
    }
    alert(s);
    // End of code for finding font names

16. Re: Customization question

Thanks Joe.