PrintEXIF Version 1.6 Uploaded

First, I want to thank all of you who have used the PrintEXIF script and have provided feedback on how to improve it, how it worked with your camera's images, and on problems you might have encountered. That feedback has helped me improve the script and provide more detailed instructions on its use.

If you're just learning of this script's existence, you may want to look through this thread: https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=1539

Basically, PrintEXIF is a script written in JavaScript for Photoshop CS that frames an image and displays EXIF information, as well as a title and copyright information, in the bottom of the frame. The script is "freeware" so feel free to distribute it or modify it. Examples of its use can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/jcolson/printexif_examples

I have updated the script to make it more user friendly, fix some bugs and to add new features. The script is now much more user friendly and easier to use for photos you want to print in addition to those you want to display on the Web. The new version 1.6 has now been uploaded and I have included several pages of instructions on how to use the script in both the Web pages and in the WinZip file. Included in the instructions are how to use the script, how to customize it, how to use Nikon Transfer with the script and Frequently Asked Questions. The new version can be found here: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIF/
New features:

1. Font sizes are calculated automatically for the EXIF info, title and copyright

2. With automatically calculated font sizes, the script can be used easily for printed photos as well as those destined for the Web

3. The default calculated font sizes can be modified by the user using the dialog box

4. The user can choose to flatten the font layers (default) or not to flatten them

5. The copyright/signature can be located either in the right lower portion of the photo, the left lower portion or in the bottom frame on the left

6. The title defaults to the file name and may be edited by the user

7. The TC20E II teleconverter has been added to the TC selection panel

8. The dialog box panels are individually enabled or disabled by the user as a means of minimizing inadvertent errors

9. A Cancel button has been added

10. If errors are encountered an error message is displayed

11. Detailed instructions (with screen shots) are included in the Web pages and in the WinZip file

Some of you have had difficulty displaying the ISO value for the D100 DSLR. That is because Nikon didn't store the ISO value in the standard EXIF field for the D100. The ISO was stored in the makernotes which are non-standard and difficult to access with any editing program. And as with earlier versions, the script highly depends on the EXIF information being written to the IPTC Caption field by Nikon Transfer.

As with the earlier versions, any and all feedback is welcome.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for continuing to improve and share this very useful app, Joe.

I would like to alter the format of the date from its current

MONTH DAY COMMA YEAR

to

DAY MONTH YEAR

but lack the expertise or the confidence to mess with your code.

Advice would be appreciated.

Clivegriff said:
Thanks for continuing to improve and share this very useful app, Joe.

I would like to alter the format of the date from its current

MONTH DAY COMMA YEAR

to

DAY MONTH YEAR

but lack the expertise or the confidence to mess with your code.

Advice would be appreciated.
Clive,

Check your e-mail. I've sent you a version with date in Euro format.

Hey Joe,

Regarding the custom panel with lens/tc/filename/default settings panel. I'm trying to figure out how to enable some of those checkboxes when I come into the dialog as well as enter a default custom font size (you have a range of 16-21 and I want to change that to 10-14).

Can you help point me in the right direction?

UPDATE: Figured out the panel but still need help with the default font sizes.

_/oe

Joe_Lorenzini said:
you have a range of 16-21 and I want to change that to 10-14
Joe,

If you're comfortable changing some values in the script, find these lines of code:

// Automatic calculation of font size based upon image width
var fontSizeBig = widthOriginal/38;
fontSizeBig = Math.round(fontSizeBig)/1;
var fontSizeSmall = (fontSizeBig/4) * 3;
fontSizeSmall = Math.round(fontSizeSmall)/1;
// End of automatic font size calculation

The calculation of font size divides the width of the image by 38 for the large font size. The small font size is 3/4 of the large size. If you change the 38 to a higher value you're going in the direction you want to go. Try several values and you'll likely find one you like.

Joe

Thanks Joe, that helped a lot!

I hope you don't mind but I took your excellent work and modified it for my own work flow. I thought I'd post it here if anyone works similar to myself (in the spirit of the script). I've renamed the file it only so it does not conflict with your version.

What I've changed:
1. Changed Copyright and title font to TAHOMA
2. Changed text colors (see example)
3. Changed frame color to black
4. Changed font ratio so that fonts when image is 700/800 pixels width are smaller in size.
5. Dialog changes...
- Set Lens Edit, Edit Title and Default Setting checkboxes to ON/Active
- Reset Title text to nothing (kept file name indicated in checkbox title)
- Changed default Signature Alignment to "Below Left"
6. Adjusted a lot of the EXIF code so that it "read" more like I would like to see it (personal opinion of course). For example, added the word "ISO" before the ISO value, added a "mm" after the lens length indicator, etc...
7. Commented out EXIF values I did not want to see or were causing issues.
8. Left layers in tact (not flattened) for editing purposes

Here's an example of my script:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And for those who are interested, here's the script:
http://www.joelorenzini.com/dp/JL_EXIFv1.6.zip

One thing you'll notice is the Nikon logo in the lower right. I'm building an Action that resizes the original image, integrates Joe's script and inserts the logo of your choice (can be the Nikon logo or the logo of your camera). It'll be a streamlined, one button process. I have the horizontal action done, just have to get the vertical one tweaked. I'll upload when completed.

Again, can't thank Mr. Colson enough for the work done on the script. Great job and I hope you continue to build on it.

_/oe

Joe_Lorenzini said:
I hope you don't mind but I took your excellent work and modified it for my own work flow. I thought I'd post it here if anyone works similar to myself (in the spirit of the script). I've renamed the file it only so it does not conflict with your version.
I don't mind at all. In fact I intend to steal all of the good ideas and continue to improve PrintEXIF. :D

What I've changed:
1. Changed Copyright and title font to TAHOMA
2. Changed text colors (see example)
3. Changed frame color to black
Those really aren't script changes, just changes to the constants at the beginning of the script. I use those changes myself.
4. Changed font ratio so that fonts when image is 700/800 pixels width are smaller in size.
That works well for landscape orientation but not well for portrait orientation (see example below)
5. Dialog changes...
- Set Lens Edit, Edit Title and Default Setting checkboxes to ON/Active
- Reset Title text to nothing (kept file name indicated in checkbox title)
- Changed default Signature Alignment to "Below Left"
While these are changes to the script, they are changes to the defaults, and I categorize them as "customization".
6. Adjusted a lot of the EXIF code so that it "read" more like I would like to see it (personal opinion of course). For example, added the word "ISO" before the ISO value, added a "mm" after the lens length indicator, etc...
7. Commented out EXIF values I did not want to see or were causing issues.
You may have a problem with your D2X EXIF or the writing of the EXIF to the IPTC caption field by Nikon Transfer. My script picks up the EXIF from the IPTC caption and that already has "mm" after the focal length and "ISO" before the sensitivity. Also, with the D2X you shouldn't have any "issues" with the script producing something erroneous. Let me know if you do.
8. Left layers in tact (not flattened) for editing purposes
I expect that many will do this if they are knowledgeable about Photoshop, but I left the flatten option set "on" to make the script "idiot proof".

One thing you'll notice is the Nikon logo in the lower right. I'm building an Action that resizes the original image, integrates Joe's script and inserts the logo of your choice (can be the Nikon logo or the logo of your camera). It'll be a streamlined, one button process. I have the horizontal action done, just have to get the vertical one tweaked. I'll upload when completed.
Those are ideas I will steal. :D

Joe, I ran the script on an image I had already used for testing. There seem to be some differences between what you get with a D2X and what I get. Here's my version:

and here's what I get with your script:

Send me an e-mail (joecolson at nc dot rr dot com) and help me figure out why you're getting less that the full shooting data with your camera and software.

Thanks, Joe for your work on this. I'm sure that the action you're working on will be an addition to the notion of automating the process. My goal has been to produce something that can be useful to the most number of Nikon DSLR shooters (hence my choice of defaults). This work is the compilation of the work of many that preceded me in writing these types of scripts. :D

Hi!

Wow i love your script, can someone tell me how to adjust the script to show DAY MONTH YEAR?

Also, i dont use Nikon Transfer is there anyway of getting the detail that would have been in the IPTC section into Print EXIF?

I use yes wait for it Picture Project!!! But i actaully ingest using Photo Mechanic.

Thanks

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom