PrintEXIFv1.51 with title entry and WinZip download

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by joecolson, Mar 22, 2005.

1. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Thanks to many of you and those on DPR who have tried the PrintEXIF script and to some who have either enhanced it or suggested enhancements for it. A special thanks to Pete Teoh for his enhanced script and ideas.

I have uploaded a new version of PrintEXIF (version 1.51) that allows the user to enter a title or use the file name as a title. The new version picks up flash information (if used) and writes the copyright information in the lower right corner of the image rather than in the frame. I have made the default values for fonts and colors neutral enough for most to use as is. The script relies on the EXIF information being written to the IPTC caption field by Nikon Transfer. Some information is only available to the script through that avenue. If you use a program other than Nikon Transfer to transfer your files from the CF card to the PC/Mac the script will be of little value to you.

Here are a few FAQ's from the last few days:

1. How do I change the copyright name?
    Answer: To change the name, open the script using Notepad or a similar Plain Text editor. Find the line at the beginning of the script that sets the copyright name to "Your Name Here" and change that text to your name. Save the script as a ".js" file using the Unicode encoding option in the Save As dialog box.

2. Where does the script go?
    Answer: Copy the script to the Program Files>Adobe>Photoshop CS>Presets>Scripts folder.

3. Does this work with earlier versions of Photoshop or with Photoshop Elements?
    Answer: I don't know because I don't have the capability to test with those applications.

4. Do I have to use Nikon Transfer?
    Answer: The script relies on Nikon Transfer copying the shooting information (the EXIF data) to the IPTC caption field. If you don't use Nikon Transfer the script will be of little use to you.

5. How do I find the script in Photoshop CS?
    Answer: Go to the Files>Scripts menu and the PrintEXIF script should be listed as a selection (if you've copied the script to the proper folder as specified above).

6. Can I change the font size and color?
    Answer: Yes, you can change both the font size and color by changing several lines at the beginning of the script. If the font size is too large the text may not fit in the bottom of the frame and if the font size is too small it may not be easily readable in the image.

7. Does the script work on a Mac?
    Answer: Yes, it's written in JavaScript and should work on a Mac. I don't have a Mac to test it on but I'd appreciate it if someone in the Forum with a Mac would test it and give us feedback.

8. I get an error message when I run the script. What should I do?
    Answer: The script now has a feature that generates a detailed error message (with the JavaScript debugger). Let me know either in this thread or by e-mail what error you are seeing and I will try to figure out what caused it.

9. Some of my EXIF data doesn't show up in the frame. Why?
    Answer: Every editing program seems to alter EXIF in some way. Since the script depends on certain EXIF fields being intact and in a certain place, it has trouble when the fields have been altered or rearranged. That's why most of the data is pulled from the IPTC caption.

10. Can you add _____ feature?
    Answer: Possibly, but not very quickly. I'm not a programmer and have learned just enough to be dangerous. I will try to add useful features as you come up with ideas that seem useful.

11. Can I change the copyright date?
    Answer: The script picks up the year from the EXIF information and uses the year that the image was originally taken. You shouldn't need to change it.

With this version I have uploaded a WinZip file that can be simply downloaded, un-Zipped and copied to the Scripts folder. You may want to open it in your text editor first to change the copyright name. Here's the link to the WinZip file: http://www.joecolson.com/PrintEXIFv1.51.zip .

I have also uploaded several example images from the D1X, D2H and D2X to show how the framed EXIF looks for each camera. Those images can be seen here: http://www.pbase.com/jcolson/printexif_examples .

Finally, since some of you have had difficulty seeing some EXIF item (date, picture quality, etc.), I wanted you to see what I'm dealing with in trying to extract EXIF data from a Nikon camera. The EXIF from the camera is written to the IPTC field so this chart shows you what the various applications see: http://www.joecolson.com/IPTC Caption Fields.htm . In particular, note that the Picture Quality can be in either the 9th, 10th or 11th field of the array. And the date can be in either the 5th or 6th. As I learn more about JavaScript maybe I'll be able to find these entries no matter where or how they appear but for right now "what you see is what you get".

Once again, let me know how this works or doesn't with your individual setups. I have feedback that the script works with the D70 by the way, in addition to the D1X, D2H and D2X. And some have reported that it works well on a Mac.

Joe

2. Joe,

I am at work now but will give this a try tonight. Really nice to see the things you added.

I just wanted to say thanks in advance for doing this and posting it for everyone to use. This is really nice of you...many thanks again Joe!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

3. Again, works like a charm Joe!!

[​IMG]

4. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Glad to hear it George, and very nice photo, too. How do you pose those hawks?

5. This is great! Thank you very much for your hard work. Can't wait to try it...darn I wish retirement was here. 9 more months to go....ugh! :x

Rich

6. Strictly LUCK! :D

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Joe,

Thanx for the cool script!!

Frank

8. Thanks Joe, will even give it a try myself. Hope I can figure it out.