Printing at Mpix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terri French, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I am planning on printing a 16x20 bridal portrait of my daughter. I thought I would try Mpix. Have any of you printed canvas on matboard? Does it work out nice or is there another option that is better.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hello Terri,

I use Mpix almost entirely for my prints that I sell, that said, please understand that for canvas I suggest another vendor or their pro parent company. Granted I have spent way over a thousand dollars on prints from them during the past 8 months, but I cannot recommend their canvas product. For Metallic, and regular prints and superb stunning B&W shots I use Mpix. They are great for these areas. Their standard canvas in my humble opinion, leaves a bit to be desired. The process they use is not the same as their pro parent company, Millers.

I would suggest using Millers or WHCC for canvas prints. For everything else MPix is great and highly recommended. As a note, I would still send your 16x20 to them and use their matte Kodak paper, with the lustre coat. the price is fairly reasonable and it would be nice to have a second large image. A superb process. Also check mark no color correction. Send it in sRGB format and things will come back great. Do not upsize the photo unless you already have done so, their process for upsizing is also superb, better than PS. You may send 200-300 DPI images, doesn't matter to them. Another note, don't use the metallic paper for portraits, the paper seems to work best on location, abstract and landscapes.

Just my thoughts. Let me know how it goes,

Cheers,

Wade

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Wade,

Great info for the future.

I do use an excellent local printer now. But who knows in the future what one may need.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you so much Wade. I'll do exactly as you suggest. The wedding is still a month away, (we took these photos early as there was a location in Salt Lake City that my daughter wanted to be photographed at in her wedding dress). I can order the print on the Kodak paper now and see if I even want a canvas print. Thanks for the info on not uprezzing. I will send in my original jpg--not uprezzed and let them do it for me.