Printing Black and White

I am beyond frustrated. I would like to print an image from Photoshop that is Black and White. When I print it (ink jet printer) it comes out with a slight tint to it. Almost like a very very light sepia. I have googled just about everything I can find and nothing. I mostly use Silver Efex Pro. Once I have done my editing in that program do I then convert it to CMYK? Or convert to grayscale? Very confused. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :)

Don't waste your time converting to CMYK your printer although using CMYK inks should be considered an RGB device as that is what the driver expects.

It really does depend on your printer and more specifically your printer driver. Unless your printer is one of the semi pro varieties then a neutral B&W maybe a little more difficult to achieve.

Even converting to greyscale will not guarantee neutral tones as the printer will use all the inks as it sees fit.

The answer may lie in the quality of the ICC paper profile and if there are specific settings in the driver dialogue to optimise B&W. For instance it may be that setting Printer Manages Colour and printer driver options set to greyscale will give an acceptable result

If all else fails and the 'very light sepia' persists then an opposite correction to the image data may neutralise enough?

Supplying details of your particular printer may help us help you and also do you use the manufacturers inks or a third party?

Seems the printer only uses one black cartridge therefore gray shades made by colour mixing other cartridges.

You have not answered the question if you are using original HP ink or third party - this is important!
And while I am here, have you calibrated and profiled your monitor and are you using Sift proofing :) ?

If you are using original ink and the correct paper profile selected then the info in post #3 applies. You will probably find that your print dialogue gives you the option to select greyscale and may even allow you black ink only. The latter not usually advisable other than text or newspaper look so try setting greyscale

Non original ink then all bets off and you will need to experiment with settings and will need to put up with some consumable waste

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom