Printing Digital Photographs / Portfolio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Mar 26, 2005.

1. I'm putting my portfolio together and I have some basic questions for those who have them.

#1. What size portfolio ?
    - 8x10
    - 8x12
    - 8.5x11

#2. How do you prepare your files in PS prior to printing ?. I'm not talking about Levels/Histogram but rather the dpi / dimensions etc. I guess I'm a bit confused with the basic step.

My RAW file is
    - 3008width pixels x 2000height pixels (pixel dimensions)
    - 41.778width inch x 27.778height inch (document size)
    - Resolution 72dpi

Should I resize, change dpi, crop etc ... prior to saving them on CD ?

Thanks in advance.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Jay...

I shoot mostly wildlife and landscapes.

My portfolio needs are geared strictly towards showing art societies, galleries, framing shops and individuals to whom I either want to sell directly to or convince them that my stuff is worthy of their either renting me space or allowing me to sell in their venue.

I always print on 13 x 19 and my images average a nominal 15.25" x 11.25" as this is the size image that fits perfectly into a 16" x 20" once matted.

In the case of wildlife..everyone who owns a camera considers themselves a wildlife photographer. Show them an 8" x 10" and they yawn....show them a big print and the wow factor grabs them all of the time.

For stores who want to sell my photo's....then they frame them up for their clients, I print them a full size set of what I want to offer at their venue (I try to gear my offerings based on locality and appropriate subject matter). Once their customer decides what they want, I print it and deliver it and get paid once the item is paid for.

4. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Jim and Paul, thank you so much for the information. Very helpful indeed.

Neil

5. Thank you both for your feedback. I guess 8x12 size makes sense when applying 2x3 ratio.

Unfortunetly I'm still confused with PhotoShop step. Let's take it from the top if you don't mind.

#1. I opened my RAW file in PSCS and got the following:

- 3008width pixels x 2000height pixels (pixel)
    - 10.027width inch x 6.667height inch (inches)
    - 300 pixels / inch

What is my next step as for as preparing this file for PRINT. I know what to do with my Levels / Histogram etc but I'm still not sure if I should change this perticular dpi and edit inch width x height number. Should I save this RAW file and take TIFF files for print ?

Thanks in advance.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I keep a couple of 'books' for showing to prospects who request a look at my work. One book contains a sampling of various styles, subjects and treatments. There's even a couple of 'printed with an enlarger' photos from 'film'. I keep a sheet of notes about the technical information on these photos.

I use this book to suggest a treatment of a particular subject or to let clients find a look they like. It serves as visual communication about what kind of photos I do. I only show images from this book myself, and it contains up to 34 photos sized from 6X6 inch to 11X14 inches.

My other book is actually two books. I have two sets of a dozen images each, each set starting from one cover, and upside down with respect to the other. In the center I have a page that says to turn the book over and re-start from the other cover.

While I may add or change a photo in the first book every six months or so, I change the set in my second book whenever needed, but I stick to a few rules: 1) it must tell two stories (which may or may not be related, but the stories must be independent.) 2) One of the parts must be in black and white, and the other in color. 3) All the prints must be highest quality and exactly the same size.

Most commonly, for book 2, I print at 300 or better DPI, and 6 inches by 9 inches. This is my pitch book, and I leave it with prospects to peruse on their own. I usually accompany it with a short letter of introduction and contact information.

Book 1's photos are mounted on a warm colored, thin, acid free board using 'archival' photo corners, so the photos can be easily changed, or removed for inspection. Book 2 has the photos in clear, plastic (again, as archival as they can make plastic) pockets, so they can be viewed by flipping casually through the book, and yet, removed from the pockets for a closer look.

This way I can, with book 1, show clients just what they want to see, or with book 2, something I've done well, when I don't know what they want to see.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh, PS: I print at 300 dpi or higher. I upsize the image if needed, but not too much, say to 150% max. In PSCS: Resize with bicubic smoother, then USM on two layers (darken, and normal with fade to lighten). I set the size of the print in the resize box (making sure the DPI is 300 or greater) so it'll print out at the size I want in the final print.

Before printing, I do any color correction I need for the particular paper or printer, and save it as a file named "mypicture(print).psd".

8. Thanks Chris. Very helpful as well.

Do you used .psd or .tiff files to print ?

9. Just a question Jay, have you considered using a website as your portfolio. I do this and my customers do not seem to mind at all. That way I don't have to carry around images. You could put your best images in a portfolio with a password and only give it out to your customers.

10. Gordon,

I will have that setup as well. Website design is not a problem.

I guess I was a bit confused with the basics.

Thanks All.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Jay, I print from PSD. I only use TIFF files to give to those clients who request them.