Printing, do you do much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I was thinking this morning about how little printing I do any more. I rarely print anything out unless it was shot for someone else, such as a wedding.
    How much of your Personal stuff do you print?
    Very little?
    About half?
    Most everything you shoot?
    Jarrell

2. Good Morning Jarrell:
    I don't even own a color printer anymore. That being said, I guess I'll be in the "Very Little" group.
    I do create slideshows of my images that can be viewed on either a TV or computer and I do send out images that I get printed in larger format. I have a lab that does my work for $2.00 per sq. ft. so doing a large print is quit cost effective and I'm sure I could not print them in-house at that rate.

Have a good weekend.

3. Jarell,

I don't print much at home. Gordon pointed me to http://www.whcc.com and once I get my spyder calibrator, I will used them for my portfolio-type printing.

Personally, home printing (if done on bigger scale) is extremely costly. My Epson 820 (small photo printer) takes cartridges which run ~50$ for black and color combo and I have to say that we use a lot of them since my wife is an art teacher. We spend tons of money already on the ink. I can't imagin printing my photography full-time. Money pit !

4. Because my large family is spread all over the USA I use our family website to share my images. When they ask for prints I use WHCC as my printer of choice. I own a color printer but rarely use it for anything more than rush prints for clients. I would probably fall into the very little Jarrell. Course every now and again a customer will want prints of everything and then I move up to about half but again, these prints are made by WHCC and not printed on my home printer.

5. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I do quit a bit. Most is for the wife and her scrapbooking. She is on the design team for a website and store. Most of the time she wants prints in the 4x6 inch range.

6. I print at home for my convenience and pleasure on my old Tektronix 740 plus networked color laser printer. Printing isn't a big thing with me. If I need better quality, I use Costco or a lab. That gives me time to concentrate on photography. I have no interest in printing and would rather leave that to the experts. I find this a more cost effect solution for my limited printing needs. Spending ones money on monitor calibration software, in my case Monaco's Optix system, is a far better choice.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. I recently saw a demo of Monaco's "Pulse" spectrophotometer for printer calibration. It was pretty neat, but for $1095 price tag I can do a whole lot of off site printing.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Jarrell,
    That's a very good question and made me realize how little I use my printer.

But we do have many children and grandkids all over the world and they go to my Smugmug gallery and from there they can click on pictures and make all the prints they want...........

so I guess my answer is that I use it 'very little'.
    '
    Thanks for the good question,

Gaye

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I go through periods when I will print constantly, then times when I don't print anything at all. It more depends on the season and what I am capturing. I probably do more printing for camera club competitons than anything else. I do like the control I have and the ease, if I need a print, a few minutes later I have one. Looking at the new Epson R1800 to replace my old 1200. Paper and supplies for the old one are getting harder to find by the day. For sale work right now, I use an Olympus 4400 dye-sub. Only goes to 8x10, but does a sweet job.

9. I print most of my family stuff (just the real keepers) on an Epson Picturemate. Any serious stuff, which isn't that much, I upload to mpix.com.

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I am just the opposite. If its worth looking at, then it is worth printing. I have both the Epson R800 and an R1800. Sometimes I enjoy the printing more than the capture. When I print something for someone and they give you the "OH MY GOD!" look, it feels good knowing you did it all from capture to print.

It is even better when I capture a good one of the kids and I print it large and show momma. She sees it and takes that deep breath. I know at that point she won't give me a hard time about spending more money on my hobby. :D

Charles

11. I've got an Epson 1280 widebody that just sits here. Every once in a while, I fire off a print just to keep the cartridge heads cleared. $700 spent on something I never use - GEEEEZZZZZ. But in all fairness, it's an incredible printer: crisp sharp pics, and I've had a pano stuck on the frig for almost 2 years now and no fading (it's NOT framed!).

I use a little HP printer to print off stuff around the house and business brochures. It puts out decent photos in a pinch, and I use refillable cartridges for my bond paper brochure stuff for real estate so it keeps the costs way down. Send out the good stuff to get printed.

12. I print tons :) I have a Canon 9000 and there are times (which I don't understand why) that my developer will not be able to read a print and then I need to print it out. I also have started printing out a lot of baby pix since I got one :). Another thing is since I started restoring and retouching photos the printer comes in handy to get a good idea of what it will look like.

13. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    very little now days, because of whcc, sams club or costco...they are fast, good results, and think cheaper than my inkjet

14. I'm like many here. Don't print much of my photos, except to give to other people, although I do sometimes get the urge to print a few for myself while printing for others. Usually just 4x6's. Gave up on inkjet long ago and just use dye-sub (HiTi 640) for the 4x6's. Been meaning to offload the occasional batch to Adorama, Costco or the like, but I always find myself prefering to print at home, instead of waiting for the lab, whenever I do print -- maybe it's because I'm such a procrastinator. :D

For the rare large print, just send it to the lab, instead of running my own print as I can't really justify the costs of large format, archival inkjet printing at home for what I do. Maybe if I actually like hanging up large prints or can make some $$$ from them, then that would make sense. But most likely, if I went and bought something like the Epson R1800, it'd spend most of the time gathering dust just like Sandi's 1280, and I'll have to remember to fire off the occasional head cleaning cycle just like Sandi. :D

So in general, I prefer to just upload the photos to my pbase account although I keep thinking I'll switch to smugmug at least for some things like my shoots for this very low rent, start-up fashion show I do -- been thinking I should go for smugmug's "pro" account and let the occasional print sale pay for the account while being able to set it up for a semi-pro/pro-like presentation to see where that might lead me. :D

_Man_

15. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I print a great deal.
    Using Epson 1270 and Epson 2200.
    Many of my good shots I preserve as 9.5 x 7.5 on 8 1/2 x 11 glossy Epson Paper and save in boxes instead of shoe boxes.

Also I print 8x10 and larger which are hanging in many peoples homes.
    I let them get the frames.

When I was doing the family genealogy, I gathered many shoe boxes
    of photos to include in the presentation.
    I even found one of myself taken in 1926.

So when all my computers die, including hard drives, and CD's start flaking, and file formats lost, I still will have photos to look at.
    In case of fire, my children do have a copy.

Birger

16. Like many of the rest of you I probably only print one in 100. Usually at 8x10 size at Sam's Club or 16x20 to 20x30 at ezprints to hang on the wall.
    I also bought a digital projector so I can do a slide show for a group if I can find one willing to sit through it.
    Bob