Printing DPI of Pro9000 Mark II

Hi,

I have a Pro9000 Mark II. The maximum DPI of the printer is said to be 4800x2400 but I have read to check the driver to see what the printer is truly printing at. Does anyone know how to do this? I am Sharpening using Nik's software and need to know what the DPI is for it to work well. I am using a custom ICC profile with the Print Quality set to High. Any help you could give would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Jeff

I haven't found where Canon ever gives an answer.

Even From Photoshop > File > Automate > Canon Easy Print Pro
Under Print Quality > Custom > Set > The options are 1 thru 5.
I don't see a specific DPI setting.

You are correct!

I e-mailed Canon and they had no answer for me. I just e-mailed Red River because Canon had said the DPI varies from paper to paper. Hopefully I will get a answer or a hint from them. Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Jeff

I would assume that Print Quality set to High means 4800x2400
In most cases setting the PPI to 300 in Photoshop is a good start.
What setting in NIk are you talking about?

After a little more research I found that High is probably 4800x2400 dpi. The setting I was talking about is in Nik's Output Sharpener Pro 3.0. When set to inkjet as output you can select from a list of printer resolutions. The reason I question the maximum dpi was that I had read from Nik and in a couple other places that the maximum output of your printer and what the printer is really putting out may differ. Nik suggests checking the printer driver but I can not find a way to do this. In one case I read to half the maximum resolution of your printer. Though I will try the resolution set at 4800x2400 and see what comes out. Thanks for your response.
Jeff

Having used a cheaper Canon printer I do not think that you can actually be sure what dpi the printer is using as it depends on the paper type e.g. glossy, matt, art, etc. The printer automatically selects the dpi based on the paper type and according to the Print Quality settings of High, Standard or Fast.

On the 9000 I believe that you can choose to use Custom setting where you can supply the dpi figures. This should help with the Nik software settings.

Printer manufacturers seem to have 'dumbed down' settings to High/Best, Standard and fast with few allowing you to overide. I also believe that this is made more complicated as some printers employ a variable droplet size, so for instance 4800dpi may mean the smallest drop the ink can lay down on paper and not necessarily the smallest drop that will be laid down for that particular paper.

Anyway worth experimenting with at different dpi for your choosen paper

Qimage http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/ shows the native resolution of the Pro9000 as 610 PPI:

2013-06-24_QimageUPRO9000_zps8350db28.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Qimage queries the printer driver to obtain this value. Here's a discussion on native resolution & print quality:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/quality/

It says the native resolution of most Canon printers is 600 DPI but I believe this page predates the Pro9000. The concepts remain valid, however.

hth,

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote Canon on that very matter because I also wanted to sharpen using Nik. They had no information to give me. As I recall I also wrote Red River and they were very vague as was Nik. I have read to half the maximum resolution of your printer when sharpening. If this holds true for this printer I do not know. No one will give me a straight answer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom