1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Printing in Lightroom.

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Dave Rosser, Jun 3, 2007.

1. I have abandoned trying to print from Lightroom and have reverted to QImage Pro. It was only when I scanned the same image printed to the same size using QImage and Lightroom that the difference really leapt out.
    In Lightroom I used medium sharpening for the 5.5" x 3.5" print as recomended by Martin Evening in "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book".

Here is the full image for reference:

NIKON D1H    ---    22mm    f/8.0    1/320s    ISO 200

While here is a scanned section of the 5.5" x 3.5" print as produced by Lightroom

While here is a scan of the Qimage Pro print

Both prints were made using a Canon iP8500 printer on Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl paper.
    The only option I can see for improving the Lightroom print is to use a High sharpening setting. (I can't do that at the moment as I have no paper:mad:  - it should be delivered in a few days.)
    Anyone got any other ideas for improving the print quality in Lightroom?

2. Wait until v1.1 which ought to be out in the near future, this area has been worked on very well.

3. Are you referring to the input sharpening or output sharpening Geoff?

I am assuming that Dave used the same file for both prints...

4. Sharpening is much improved in what is available on screen. I haven't really tested to see if the output sharpening has been altered and I can't test against v1.0 at present. The print results I have are much superior to what I had achieved previously.

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Dave,
    With Qimage Pro being such a high quality and easy to use program, what would cause you to want to abandon it in favor of Light Room?

Mike

6. Thanks to all who replied. To answer Mikes question the only reason to use the print module in Lightroom is to have everything in one application and not to litter the hard drive withTIFFs that are there only because you printed something out. The nice thing about Lightroom is that all you store are your original RAW files and a set of processing instructions, if you print in Lightroom you do not create a permanent new file.

7. A valuable comment Dave, the ability to work from/with one file is one of the strengths and purposes of LR.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.