1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Printing Large Family Pics for Wall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cleo68, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    I have so many pictures of my kids from the past 5 years, I don't know what to do with them all. I really want to find some favorites and print them, frame them, and hang them throughout the house. I have NO skills at doing this. I will likely have smugmug print them out on lustre for me, but am wondering what size would look good? I hate to have these huge, glaring pictures of my kids all around. Looks a bit too braggy. What's the next size down from 8 x 10? 5 x 7? That's not big enough for a wall, is it? As you can see, I'm clueless.

Does anyone know what size smugmug requires to print, say, an 8 x 10 - or print larger than 4 x 6? I think mine are currently downsized to 800 pixels max per largest side so they're easier for people to view.

Thanks for any help!

2. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Considering matting them. You can print a 5 by 7 and matte it so the frame would be about an 8 by 10.

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Cleo, You would be surprised to see how a 16x20 print easily becomes a part of your home, and doesn't appear large at all. 5x7 would kind of disappear on the wall, but matted 8x10s would be nice, even 11x14. Instead of having lots, I would probably pick out the best ones to display, and keep the rest in albums as 4x6, or print some 5x7 and make a wall collage of them.

I wish I could give you a visual about the idea

4. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Yes, Linda, I think I see what you mean, thanks. And thanks, Liv, for the idea about the matting. I've got to start doing this before my kids are all grown up!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.