Printing - The Look of Canvas

I attended a local art fair this weekend and a number of photographers offered prints on canvas. I really like the look! After doing a bit of research on printing on canvas, it appears that the canvas is available only on rolls and that it requires stretching, etc before mounting.

My printer (Canon Pro9000 Mark II) does not accommodate rolled goods (and I wouldn't have the room for it in any case), so I'm interested in trying some paper that would approximate the look of canvas. So far, I've found River Linen and 60 lb Paper Canvas by Red River. I also see that Moab offers Anasazi Canvas in sheet form.

Are there any others that anyone could recommend for use with my Canon printer?

Thanks!

I print on canvas with the Epson 3880 which also does not accommodate rolls. I cut the canvas for printing which apparently some do even if their printer will accommodate rolls because of the dust created by the cutting.

I use Breathing Color canvas and their EasyWrappe stretcher bars. http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/

You can get trial rolls 17" x 20' for only $29. Really like their products.

Edit to add: I also use Red River River Linen and Paper Canvas which I also like a lot. http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/matte-photo-inkjet-paper.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I print on canvas with the Epson 3880 which also does not accommodate rolls. I cut the canvas for printing which apparently some do even if their printer will accommodate rolls because of the dust created by the cutting.

I use Breathing Color canvas and their EasyWrappe stretcher bars. http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/

You can get trial rolls 17" x 20' for only $29. Really like their products.

Edit to add: I also use Red River River Linen and Paper Canvas which I also like a lot. http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/matte-photo-inkjet-paper.html
Thanks for the reply, Marlene! Great information!

Does the Breathing Color Canvas yield a significantly different (better) result than the two Red River products? Does the Breathing Color canvas require anything special when printing? (ie - How do you keep it taut as it passes thru the printer?)

Thanks!

I tape about two inches of a heavier matte paper to the end that feeds into the printer and it takes it just fine.

Breathing Color has dozens of very helpful videos on their site. I spent a lot of time watching the videos and then again watched the video that pertained to whatever I was doing just before undertaking the specific operation. Look through their site - I think you will be impressed with all the help on their site plus they are quick to answer any questions you may specifically e-mail them about.

The Red River products are very good products but paper. If you want canvas order one or two of the trial rolls from Breathing Color and give it a try. The two Crystalline canvases don't even need to be varnished (having said that varnishing isn't that hard a process). You can also get a trial of the EasyWrappe Stretcher bars for only $13.

Printing on canvas was a whole new experience for me this year and I just love the results. I encourage you to give it a try.

I tape about two inches of a heavier matte paper to the end that feeds into the printer and it takes it just fine.

Breathing Color has dozens of very helpful videos on their site. I spent a lot of time watching the videos and then again watched the video that pertained to whatever I was doing just before undertaking the specific operation. Look through their site - I think you will be impressed with all the help on their site plus they are quick to answer any questions you may specifically e-mail them about.

The Red River products are very good products but paper. If you want canvas order one or two of the trial rolls from Breathing Color and give it a try. The two Crystalline canvases don't even need to be varnished (having said that varnishing isn't that hard a process). You can also get a trial of the EasyWrappe Stretcher bars for only $13.

Printing on canvas was a whole new experience for me this year and I just love the results. I encourage you to give it a try.
Thanks for the info, Marlene! I may give this a try.

One last question - How do you accomplish the stretching? I know that you use the EasyWrappe stretcher bar, but the videos show a tool that's used to stretch the canvas before securing it to the bar. And that tool is quite expensive..... Definitely too expensive to use for a tryout.

Bert all you need other than the canvas is the EasyWrappe Trial Kit for $13. That includes the corner clamps that you can use indefinitely for other wrapping projects. Watch the first video on this page - http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/195/

You do not have to staple BUT with the Crystalline canvas they recommend using the staple method because the canvas is thicker than the other and sometimes doesn't stick on the sides as well. I have wrapped Crystalline without stapling though.

I saw a canvas using the Canvox and it looked very sharp! May get a few to try. http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/199/

Marlene - I hope that you don't mind a few more questions.....

I've been in contact with Breathing Color and they don't directly support dye-ink-based printers such as mine. However, they encouraged me to order a sample roll and give it a try anyway - saying that "it may well work fine".

I see that your printer is pigment-based, but have you seen any results with a dye-based printer?

Also, Breathing Color provided me this link to a blog posting about how to load individual canvas sheets into a desktop printer. The photos seem to illustrate the process you use. However, the explanation about the settings in Photoshop have me confused:

When you tape a matte paper leader to the canvas sheet, does the leader overlap the canvas sheet? Step 4 in the blog posting only says that it needs to be "flush". In the photos, it looks like the leading edge of the matte "leader" sits exactly on the leading edge of the canvas. However, the settings in Photoshop (in Step 7) imply that the rear edge of the leader is taped to the front edge of the canvas. (ie - a 13x19 sheet of canvas must be set to 13x20).

So, how do you do it? Does the leading edge of the leader lineup with the leading edge of the canvas? Or does the rear edge of the leader get taped to the leading edge of the canvas? (I hope the question is clear....)

2. What kind of tape do you use to tape the leader to the canvas? I imagine it would need to be strong, but easily removable, and yet not to thick/sticky to avoid getting stuck in the printer. (That would be bad!!! :eek:)

Thanks again!

No problem Bert. Ask away. :smile:

I have had absolutely no experience with dye-ink so can't help you there. Hopefully someone on NC has and will chime in.

For the leading edge I started using scotch tape but it didn't work so I just started using good old masking tape and it came off fine after printing. I didn't use any tape on the printed side. I used a mat paper (the same you would use for printing a photo on) for the leading edge and taped it flush to the edge - no overlap. I had the size, etc. all set for printing and then added the width of the taped area - extended the canvas size. Not even sure why but nothing printed on the tape.

Any more questions please feel free to ask. :smile:

No problem Bert. Ask away. :smile:

I have had absolutely no experience with dye-ink so can't help you there. Hopefully someone on NC has and will chime in.

For the leading edge I started using scotch tape but it didn't work so I just started using good old masking tape and it came off fine after printing. I didn't use any tape on the printed side. I used a mat paper (the same you would use for printing a photo on) for the leading edge and taped it flush to the edge - no overlap. I had the size, etc. all set for printing and then added the width of the taped area - extended the canvas size. Not even sure why but nothing printed on the tape.

Any more questions please feel free to ask. :smile:
Thanks, Marlene. Interesting that scotch tape didn't work for you, since Breathing Color indicated to me that that's the tape to use. I have since read elsewhere that masking tape works well.

I'm starting to think that this may be more of a bother than what it's worth. Then, 10 minutes from now, I'll think differently. :redface: I'm going to explore the option of Moab's precut canvas paper in another thread, so we don't get off-track here.

Thanks!

First Gallery Wrap.....

Well, I finally got my roll of canvas from Breathing Color. After cutting sheets to size and wrestling with getting a sheet loaded into my printer (due to the printer, not the canvas) , I really like the final printed result. Like anything new, loading a sheet into the printer has gotten easier, the more prints that I do.

I also tried making a 10x14 Gallery Wrap using their "EasyWrappe" tryout kit. Like loading the paper, the first time caused problems. I applied (glued) the wrong side of the pre-cut "Stretcher boards" that form the frame to the print. That meant that the staples that are meant to brace the corners of the frame couldn't go in until I drilled some holes. (The pre-drilled slots for the staple were against the print.) - I am quite DIY-challenged. :rolleyes:

I also found that, although I cut the canvas to 2-1/2" larger than the print all around (per the instructions) I need to print right to the borders of the canvas or else it results in some white showing on the sides of the Gallery Wrap. :redface: For the same reason, I'll need to take all this into account when composing images in the future that I think I might want to print/frame in a Gallery Wrap. Live and Learn.... :biggrin:

Overall, I'm quite pleased with their products so far. I may order a few more EasyWrappe kits to do a few more Gallery Wraps (Hopefully, correctly this time.) Unfortunately, due to the paper size restrictions on my printer (13x19 max), I'm limited to 10x14 Gallery Wraps.

I haven't done it for three or four years but I was buying 13x19 sheets of pre-coated canvas. I was using an Espon 1280 printer at the time and if I remember I ordered the sheet canvas on line from Epson also.

Honestly I don't know why you go through the trouble of printing it yourself. There are several printing services on-line that are very cost effective and do a fantastic job. Some of them offer free shipping or very nominal shipping charges for those of you in the lower 48. Just Google canvas photo printing and do a bit of research. Unless you just enjoy tinkering with the printer and stretching the canvas... :smile:

:biggrin::biggrin: Sounds very similar to my first attempt. Prior to the second attempt I watched the video very carefully but forgot the glue.

Oh btw, with the Crystalline they recommend doing the wrap type where you have to staple it. That particular canvas is thicker and I found that it doesn't stick to the side as well as the other canvas. I haven't done a wrap like that yet but I did have to add some extra glue to the canvas that sticks to the wood. I put some prints in a local show and was glad to see everything was stuck when they had the opening of the show last weekend.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I also found that, although I cut the canvas to 2-1/2" larger than the print all around (per the instructions) I need to print right to the borders of the canvas or else it results in some white showing on the sides of the Gallery Wrap. :redface: For the same reason, I'll need to take all this into account when composing images in the future that I think I might want to print/frame in a Gallery Wrap. Live and Learn.... :biggrin:
An alternative to composing for the gallery wrap is to use a program that automatically adds suitable edges. The Perfect Resize plugin for example has a Gallery Wrap section that allows reflections and stretches. You specify the number of inches and the opacity. I'm sure there are other programs that do this too.

An alternative to composing for the gallery wrap is to use a program that automatically adds suitable edges. The Perfect Resize plugin for example has a Gallery Wrap section that allows reflections and stretches. You specify the number of inches and the opacity. I'm sure there are other programs that do this too.
DOH!!! Of course! ...and I already own Perfect Resize (as part of OnOne's Suite) but have never really used it. Thanks so much for that reminder! :biggrin:

Now to another question that I also e-mailed to Breathing Color. ---- Although the trial kit provided stretcher bars, etc for a 10x14 gallery wrap, the smallest stretcher bars that they sell are for an 11x14 wrap. The bars are 1.25 inches thick which means that 2.5 inches (minimum needs to be added to each border of the 11x14 image. That makes minimum paper width of 13.5 inches.

Unfortunately, my printer only takes media up to 13x19 inches. By my calculation, that would mean that the wrap would be 1/4" short on two sides (exposing the wood).

I have an e-mail into Breathing Color asking whether I could purchase 10x14 stretcher bars, like what's provided in the trial kit. (I expect an answer later today.) But, if that's not possible, am I just out of luck, or is there some workaround that's possible?

Richard - You have the same printer that I do.... How do you manage to create a gallery wrap larger than 10x??? (assuming that you do)?

Thanks again!

You might like some watercolor paper. 300 # Arches. Do not buy student grade paper. It is like trying to paint on a blotter. 140 # probably ok too.

Blick Art supplies.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom