Printing with Mpix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cknight, Jun 13, 2007.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I'd like to get some prints made, and Mpix seems to be one of the favorites.
    But I have a few ???s:

Do you have better luck letting them do the color adjustment or telling them not to do it and doing it yourself. I have a calibrated monitor, and I have the ICC profiles for their printer.

Sharpening: Do you sharpen it so that the full res image looks good on your monitor when viewed at 100%? I'll be getting 8x10 or 8x12 prints.

8x12 prints would match the image dimension ratios. Are 8x12 frames/mats easy to find?

I assume for an 8x10 print, they add some so that the print is actually larger than 8x10. Do they add a border to get the additional length/width, or use part of the image? How much do they add?

Files are from D70, 6 MP, most full size, some cropped.

Any other tips?

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have done it both ways, and any adjustments they do are very slight, however, I always now check don't and I have been very happy and things matches well with my files and monitor, all I could ask for!

Sharpen to where it looks perfect on your monitor and it will be fine on prints, however, the BW on their BW paper does tend to be a touch soft, so really sharpen your BW.

8x12 frame/matt combos can be easy to find online, but generally not at most local "regular stores" Mpix will crop your 8x12 to fit an 8x10 but you can tell them where to crop.

you can have your own borders by adding borders in photoshop for unusual ratios, mpix will not add them for you.

I have printed D70 files (without cropping) up to 18x24 without any problems! Enjoy!

Wade

3. As for sharpening, I always do any adjustments at 100%. It just works better for me. You might have different results.

As for the rest of your questions about mpix, you'll have to get answers from the myraid of Cafe members who use them.

Good luck!

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks for the pointers.

As far as the sharpening goes, I view the photos at 100% when sharpening.
    I just thought I had read that some view at 50% or so to get an idea of how it will look when printed and to see if it was sharpened enough.

5. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

I don't have my monitor really calibrated...just used the apple calibrating software, and my prints come out exactly as they look on my screen. Colors, white balance, saturation, and contrast are always perfect! I always make sure to mark the box that tells them to make no adjustments

They don't add much. IIRC, you only get about an 1/8" (if that) on every side.

Hope that helps some! Let us know how your order turns out!