1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Printing with SmugMug :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaytron, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Has anyone had experience with smugmug's print qualities?

A friend of mine wants some prints, 8x10 canvas prints to be exact. I was thinking of using smugmug to host my pictures anyways, and I was wondering how their printing is.

2. I've bought a few prints through Smugmug and I've been very pleased with the quality.

3. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Jim, how large have you gotten with prints? Any canvas?

4. darkside

darkside

Jan 2, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    I've never tried canvas, but I've printed a few 20x30 prints and some 8x12s and smaller with them, they all came out great.

5. No, I've never printed anything larger than 8 x 10 inches.

6. I've done 8x10 max and were very pleased with them.

7. 11x14 and 12x18 glossy and whatever they call the semi-gloss versions. Excellent prints. Haven't done canvas yet though (sorry)

8. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the input guys.

Another side question, how can I make money from selling photos off of SmugMug? Is there any way? Or is the only way to advertise photos via a website and charge from there?

9. You can make $ by creating a professional account with SmugMug. It allows you to set the prices you want to receive (and shows you the cost so you can see your profit - They take a 15% cut of the profits as an administrative charge). If you want more details of how to set it up PM me. I'd be happy to help.

10. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Ah ok I see it in the account comparison.

Now I'm debating on the $150 a year on smugmug, or just hosting my own site for less than half that a year and just billing customers myself, then ordering through mpix or something. SmugMug being more expensive, is also much more streamlined. I suppose because my order volume very low as of now, I might be able to handle ordering myself, then as sales grow, upgrade to SmugMug pro.

Thanks for the advise Rob (nice website for your business, was that done by yourself or professionally?)

11. darkside

darkside

Jan 2, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    Something you might want to consider, if you use the code flickr, you get 50% off of your first year. At least that was the case when I signed up, I think they're still doing it that way. Plus you get a free trial for a few weeks. So try it out on a pro account with the free trial, if you like it after the first week or two, use the code to get a year for around $75, and if you like it after that, keep the pro account, if not, you can either drop it all together, or keep a lesser account to keep your photos there.

12. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Oh sweet, thanks for the coupon code Chris! Can you use a pro account for the free trial?

13. darkside

darkside

Jan 2, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    I think so, if I recall correctly that's exactly what I did. I was debating between exposure manager and smugmug, so I signed up for the free trial with each, liked smugmug better, and now i'm about half way through my first year with them. also check out http://dgrin.com/ it's a photo forum set up and run by smugmug. They have a dedicated section for smugmug specific help, including pro site customization (one of the deciding factors for me).

14. Thanks. I did it myself using the easy tools that Smugmug provides. I actually only signed up for the professional account (coupon code YAHOO may still be valid for 50% off your first year...not sure if it ended July 31st) because I wanted the right-click protection, watermarking and ability to print through Bay Photo. I'm not a professional by any means (I've only owned a camera for 2 months!) but wanted some of the features that Smugmug provides, plus I've heard their customer service is an A+++. (they will reprint anything if you're not happy, regardless of the size of the print)

Take a look around at some of the smugmug websites some of the members here on the cafe have customized...some folks have done a top-notch job with their smugmug sites!

Best of luck!

15. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    The flash site was done with SmugMug tools? :O

16. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.