Prints come out looking darker than on monitor

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by MCoupefan, Jun 16, 2007.

1. OK...Im stumped. Im running Adobe Lightroom on an IMac G5 (PPC) with OS 10.4.9 and printing on an Epson Stylus 1800. I have calibrated the IMac's monitor using a Huey, and have loaded the right profiles for the paper (Epson Photo Glossy). Ive turned color management off on the printer. When printing images (and even when posting on Smugmug) the color looks right (no funky shifts) but the images appear darker (1 to 1.5 stops underexposed) on output than they do on screen whilst I'm post processing. Any ideas on why and how to correct would be greatly appreciated
  2. What color profile are you using?
    Definitely, if you're using ProPhoto, they will look different on smugmug.
    Try converting them to sRGB and see if they print/view different.
  3. cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Most of the time dark prints are caused by having your monitor to bright.
  4. JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah the combination of a very bright LCD and moderately low ambient lighting results in a bright on-screen image and a print that looks dark. At the very least examine the print in good lighting conditions before coming to any conclusions. But bright LCD's are the biggest culprit I think.
  5. Go into Levels and change the middle value to 1.20 and try that. Your print should look very close to what you saw on the screen prior to the Levels adjustment.

Do not save after the Levels change!
  6. Alex, something else you might try if Lightroom supports it. I've found from printing on various papers some prints come out darker on different types of papers. You can simulate it by proofing your picture using the papers color profile. Then adjust accordingly, I use CS3.
  7. Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm not sure why, but this appears to be an issue with some R1800s. I'm using PS7 on XP home, SP1 and have the same problem. I have a CRT and it is calibrated with a Spyder 2 and the photos I process for the web look just fine. When I try to print, however, the colors are balanced fine, but the density is 1-2 stops dark. I've been using the levels adjust center slider to 1.20 and it has worked well until recently, when it seems I need 1.3 or 1.4 or more to get things printing close to the screen. I did an uninstall and reloaded the latest drivers and paper profiles, no change. I checked my PS7 settings, no changes there, either.
  8. john4jack

john4jack Guest

I have an RX700 and have had all sorts of problems when Photoshop CS 3 does the color management. I turn off the color management in the printer and use the Printer Profile recommended by Epson technical support for the Photoshop print dialog box. The colors invariably are off. However, when I let the printer do the color management, the colors are almost spot on.
  9. john4jack

john4jack Guest

A PS. When I print from iPhoto, I get darker images than what I see on the monitor. However, when I send the image to Photoshop and print from there, allowing the Printer to do the color management, the colors are very close to what I see on the monitor. (This is with a test image designed for calibrating printers.) Go figure. This is when I am grateful to not be doing this professionally.