1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Prints vs. Monitor WOW!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishbio, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Hi All.

I hadn't printed any of my micro shots before and I just picked up a few prints of some Dragonflies and a pair of butterflies for our cottage bathroom. I thought they looked pretty good on a monitor, but the prints absolutely blew me away with their fine detail. I'm beginning to think I'm getting the hang of digital photography!

The price was right, too with Costco's (Canada) special offer this week of 4 8x10s for $0.0 if you have a photo account.

Cheers,

Larry

These were 2 of my choices

Ocellated emerald

[​IMG]

Large marble

[​IMG]

2. Very nice. I also feel that my photos look better on print than on the monitor.

3. Thanks, Mike

Hey Dan, not just better but WOW better and my monitor is not some old clunker

Larry

4. monitor = 72ppi

print = alot more unless you cropped a crap ton

5. Hi Andrew

Not that it makes much difference but my monitor is 96 ppi.

I try to compose and crop before I push the shutter button so plenty of resolution available for the print. Although one realizes that there is a lot more resolution in a print based on cold dry numbers you can't visualize it till you see it:smile:

Cheers,

Larry

6. how do you find that?

7. I know haw many pixels the monitor has and I measured the screen and used simple division!

Larry

8. Nice find.

I measured just less than two hand spans (approx. 9" each) and did a rough division into 1680 in my head. It looks as if I was wrong as the real # is 99.06. I'm a retired biologist, though, and I'm happy with any error less than 50%. :smile:

Cheers,

Larry

9. Try www.AdoramaPix.com some time. I was really really shocked by their print quality and even packing. :smile:

10. Thanks for the suggestion but issues with the US/Canada border, exchange, etc. wouldn't be worth it. Costco provides regularly updated printer profiles and I find their quality plenty good enough for me.

Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.