1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pro Photographer been using D700 since April 3rd...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by ciscopro2000, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Thanks for the link!

2. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I will also say ...thank you very much ...for the links.

3. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Looks like the definition of "pro-body" as "integrated grip cameras only" will have to change for many...:tongue:

4. Thanks for the link. Excellent images and interesting story to go with it.

Makes it hard to resist....

5. Jim Reed is well known. I have his book on storm photography. It is outstanding!

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

looks like a winner to me............................;-)

7. I think for a lot of the "many" it was more about the "look" and impressing their friends than anything to do with the cameras ability. Which is perfectly fine.... I doubt most of those folks ever really put a camera to the test though.

Pro-body = Any camera a pro uses :smile:

8. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Is there any indicating that the durability and weather sealing is any different than that of the D300? I haven't seen anything saying otherwise?

9. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    unlimited dynamic range, here I come! :) 

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    from Nikon, don't remember where I saw it but I did from a nikon link, heavier frame than D300, improved weather sealing,

11. Some of the images in the gallery are amazing! Interesting how he shot at f22 and similar in situations where it didn't seem to be necessary.

12. Cathy W.

Cathy W. Guest

Yes...

Yes, it is a little more robust than the D300. The D300 lacks gaskets on the bottom (according to Thom Hogan who took one apart after it took a water dunk) and around the flash. The D700 is a fully gasketed camera with o-rings at all connection points.

Until we see pictures of the frame it is hard to tell if the D700 has additional alloy in it. However, Nikon makes a point of saying that not only is the chassis magnesium alloy (as is the D300) but that the mirror box and back are also out of the alloy. They do not make this distinction about the D300 so those may be additional features to increase the durability of the D700. There is a 4/10 of a pound difference in weight between the D700 and the D300. Some of it is due to a larger pentaprism and the additional gasketing but I am thinking the remainder is due to additional alloy in the body.

-cw

13. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    those pictures are stunning. Makes me want to stop even trying lol. :smile:

14. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I was wondering the same thing, anyone have any insight into why this would be?

15. marn

marn

Mar 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    awesome...

maybe we should ask him if he's testing any new lenses =)

16. Could have something to do with wanting a slower shutter speed for the twister. Or maybe the same as I do, set the aperture for what you know will work for everything since you are in a really big hurry and getting the shot is more important than trying to take the time to set up everything perfectly.

17. Maximum depth of field. Look at that shutter speed he got. Still 1/320 for at least one of them. He wanted all the foreground to also be in focus in addition to the massive cloud formation.

18. That's what I was thinking. When running up to a twister he may just want to point and fire away. Depth of field is not something he would have time to consider and play with. At f22, he can be reasonable assured that whatever he shoots will be in focus.

19. Of course maximum depth of field is always the reason to use f22, but looking at the first image, and most of them, in fact, he shot from eye level, and the foreground in that image is pretty far off. Using the 14-24 at eye level, I would suspect that pretty much f8~11 would have everything from 5-6 ft to infinity in focus.

At any rate, they are some fabulous photos, that of course proves the adage, in the right place at the right time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.