Pro Photographer been using D700 since April 3rd...

Looks like the definition of "pro-body" as "integrated grip cameras only" will have to change for many...:tongue:

N

Nuteshack

looks like a winner to me............................;-)

Looks like the definition of "pro-body" as "integrated grip cameras only" will have to change for many...:tongue:
I think for a lot of the "many" it was more about the "look" and impressing their friends than anything to do with the cameras ability. Which is perfectly fine.... I doubt most of those folks ever really put a camera to the test though.

Pro-body = Any camera a pro uses :smile:

Is there any indicating that the durability and weather sealing is any different than that of the D300? I haven't seen anything saying otherwise?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Is there any indicating that the durability and weather sealing is any different than that of the D300? I haven't seen anything saying otherwise?
from Nikon, don't remember where I saw it but I did from a nikon link, heavier frame than D300, improved weather sealing,

C

Cathy W.

Yes...

Yes, it is a little more robust than the D300. The D300 lacks gaskets on the bottom (according to Thom Hogan who took one apart after it took a water dunk) and around the flash. The D700 is a fully gasketed camera with o-rings at all connection points.

Until we see pictures of the frame it is hard to tell if the D700 has additional alloy in it. However, Nikon makes a point of saying that not only is the chassis magnesium alloy (as is the D300) but that the mirror box and back are also out of the alloy. They do not make this distinction about the D300 so those may be additional features to increase the durability of the D700. There is a 4/10 of a pound difference in weight between the D700 and the D300. Some of it is due to a larger pentaprism and the additional gasketing but I am thinking the remainder is due to additional alloy in the body.

-cw

Some of the images in the gallery are amazing! Interesting how he shot at f22 and similar in situations where it didn't seem to be necessary.

Could have something to do with wanting a slower shutter speed for the twister. Or maybe the same as I do, set the aperture for what you know will work for everything since you are in a really big hurry and getting the shot is more important than trying to take the time to set up everything perfectly.

Could have something to do with wanting a slower shutter speed for the twister. Or maybe the same as I do, set the aperture for what you know will work for everything since you are in a really big hurry and getting the shot is more important than trying to take the time to set up everything perfectly.
That's what I was thinking. When running up to a twister he may just want to point and fire away. Depth of field is not something he would have time to consider and play with. At f22, he can be reasonable assured that whatever he shoots will be in focus.

Of course maximum depth of field is always the reason to use f22, but looking at the first image, and most of them, in fact, he shot from eye level, and the foreground in that image is pretty far off. Using the 14-24 at eye level, I would suspect that pretty much f8~11 would have everything from 5-6 ft to infinity in focus.

At any rate, they are some fabulous photos, that of course proves the adage, in the right place at the right time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom